www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Puerto Viejo, Sept 2015
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:30 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Puerto Viejo - another one of Costa Rica's beautiful treasure.
Along with a tica friend, I took the bus from the small station in Barrio Mexico to the Caribean town of Puerto Viejo. The bus ride was 4 1/2 hrs, with only one pit stop in Limon. No A/C. $11 one way.
This time of year was perfect as it rains hard in Puerto Viejo in the summer. It is a tropical place, hot, and humid. You will sweat alot and not for the fussy traveller.

The town is about an hour south of Limon and an hour or so north of the Panama border. Many Europeans, nature lovers and backpackers are to be found there.
The town has many grocery stores, local gift shops, a travel/tour center and was bustling with plenty of nightlife, great music, open air food vendors, and the distinct air of the Caribean. Quite a few young American and European tourists. Probably a good time for young single players. Not sure about any local short term availability. Almost like being in a smaller condensed Key West with a Jamaican feel. The beaches were clean, beautiful, with strong waves. A mile down was a beginner surfer camp.

There are alot of nice restaurants, local eateries, bars and clubs. We stopped at Nemas restaurant for a refresher and the waitress recomended Cabinas Yucca, a block down to stay, and besides the beers, easily helped us procure other supplies. The Cabinas were nice at $45 a night, ocean front, hot water, back patio, hammocks, and common kitchen. Owned by a German lady, it was clean, and comfortable, even without a/c, a few more fans would have been nice, but still ok. There are many hostels and other fine motels in the few block radius.
Sunday night, we saw the full moon/ eclipse clear as day.
A few kilometers south is Punta Uva, a gorgeous place for a romantic gettaway .
For those of us that want to explore all of Costa Rica, this is another bucket list location.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:39 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Nice to get a new report on the area. Manzanillo, at the end of the road a bit further south, is one of my favorite places in C R. Need to go back

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:59 pm 

Good report. I did the same a couple of years ago and stayed at Banana Azul. Loved the bus ride. I'll have to get to Punta Uva next time. I did however, get to Playa Cahuita and it was beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:59 pm 

Been to the area 3 times. Stayed at Geckoes Lodge the last time and did some great hiking with my Bob Marley guide named Junior. Canoed in the mangroves, watched baby turtles hatch and got some great photographic opportunities. Since my last visit to PV I've been to OSA Peninsula 3 times but now I'm ready to go back to PV. Very.very..different than "the other side" with it's own very laid back culture. I like it a lot and looking forward to my return. Punta Uva, Cahuita, Cocles, Playa Negra amongst the most beautiful in CR. No chica action there so got to bring your own if you want any of that. I myself prefer not to indulge and save that for when I return to SJ.