www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:30 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

[code][/code]Need to stretch the other 2 legs after sitting on bar stools for a few days? From San Jose the Poas Volcano and the La Paz waterfalls are just about 90 minutes away and offer plenty of non-mongering exercise and fresh air.

I coordinated a ride from Steve at Puravida transport for 150 but you can do it much cheaper on a tour bus. Having your own vehicle affords you the ability to get up there early and also freedom of movement to stop anywhere you want for pictures, food, shopping. Clouds settle in on Poas almost daily so you want to get there early to get clear views of both the volcano and the views from approx 10000 ft. Poas park opened at 8am in August. I don't know if it opens then all the time.

Steve picked me up from The SL at 545 on a Wednesday and we were able to get out of town fairly quickly before the traffic jams settled in. It's a nice drive mostly up hill and through Heredia. Plenty of photo ops along the way. Coffee and strawberries are the main crops and dairy cattle are all over the place. It's nice all the way up the the volcano. Got a quick breakfast at a roadside shop. Cup of coffee and a tasty beef and potato pastry cost about 1500 colones. Got to Poas gate right before opening time and had about 5 cars in front of us. The cost for non-residents is $15 and residents get in for like 1 mil.

Once parked there is a main exhibit building with information, bathroom, and a cafe. Everything is uphill from there but it's not too strenous 1/2 mile and the trails are mostly paved up to the crater. The top was clear of clouds on my trip and you could see for 50 miles or more. The crater was maybe 1/4 mile away and was spectacular with gas emitting and lava flow fields fully visible down the side. There's multiple veiwing platforms to get slightly diffent angles and benches to hang out. A sign says you should only remain there 20 minutes because of the toxic gases. The winds were taking the gas plume away from us but you never know.

Another 1/2 mile trail (uphill and a bit steeper) leads you to the Botos Lake which was created by another crater that sealed up and was filled with rainwater. There's a 1 mile trail around the lake but the 20 minute rule was suggested there because the lake is acidic. The afternoon sun would offer more color to the water but you never know if you'd be covered in clouds by then. Easy trail downhill back to the main building and parking.

From there it was on to La Paz, about 45 minutes away. The Peace Lodge is right next to the Waterfall park and though kinda expensive, would be a nice place to lay up for a day or two if you like the jungle. This area is relatively untouched rain-forest paradise. $45 entry fee gets you a wristband good for the day and a map. There were only 10 other people there that I saw and I saw nobody on the trails down the waterfalls. There's a ton of things to see including snakes, frogs, cats, and butterflies. The butterfly building would be an excellent way to spend a hour in a altered mental state.

The waterfalls kick ass. They trails are easy though everything was wet so slipping may be a concern. You can get very close to the waterfalls and get as wet as you want. It was sunny and pretty warm in there even though the foliage is thick. Bugs were out but I never got bit. At the bottom of the falls the trail takes you back uphill to the gift shop/bus stop where you can catch a bus back to the top. You can walk but I wasn't up to it.

Easy ride back to town. I highly recommend getting out to see these marvels of nature.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:24 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I agree, it is one of the best day trips out of San Jose.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:18 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The waterfalls should be a must do for everyone.