www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to stay busy in CR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:47 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

This is for you guys living in CR. What options do you have t stay busy? Card clubs? Book clubs? Hiking? Sports?
Thanx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:40 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Its the ultimate question. Non stop party and sex is great but...i have nothing to add :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:17 pm 

Lots of entertainment happening. Many celebrations in different areas of Costa Rica. These people like to party.
Zapote celebration just ended. Another one starts next week in a different town.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:29 pm 

59 Vette I am an avid reader of Tico Times and AM Costa Rica and have enjoyed reading about the festivals and parades. I'm moving down in a few months and looking forward to those events. I was also hoping to get involved in social-type activities or people with similar interests.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:09 am 

Enroll in Spanish classes if you are not fluent. May be a good way to meet some expats as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:57 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Has anybody tried the hot air balloon that lifts off by Arenal?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:48 pm 

Exploring the country can keep you busy for a while. Pick a city and go there by bus. Fishing can be fantastic. Surfing, rafting, bird watching, people watching, beer drinking, studying the culture are all go ways to spend time. The locals are extreme soccer fans and the games generate a lot of excitement. Much depends on what you have done during your life to keep entertained and active. I adopted a family. K*ds and novia keep me busy as I want to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:28 pm 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
No guarantee that this list is anything like up-to-date and there are probably others but: http://www.therealcostarica.com/living_ ... _rica.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:47 pm 

I found something through one of my ham radio magazine to try in between sessions in the gulch. http://www.costaricahamlet.com/ Located in Rio Jesus Alauela. The pictures remind me of when I worked as a fire lookout in 2001 of the scenery. The cost of transport to and from the airport is included with a 5 day package

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:29 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

That is an excellent question. Just coming down for a week or so, its easy; stay at a gulch hotel, enjoy , go on a couple of tours and go home.
But when you stay a long time the key is developing your own program.
For me, I have spent alot of time in CR this year, and although I enjoy the creature comforts of La Amistad and all the nearby conveniences, I realized that I had to get out of the gulch and take my chances. The lifestyle becomes a little empty and the people I meet in the gulch are not a true representation of all CR has to offer.
The first key is to make new friends. Friends that have other interests, are somewhat honest/genuine and have a life. Volunteering for a local american-style football team, going to a church regularly, hanging in escazu or santa ana where other americans are is helpful. Learning to surf, joining a gym, taking official spanish lessons are all ways to enjoy a long term stay . Everyone does it differently. One buddy rents at the Morazon for a year at a time and his program includes daily walks to the MP's, calling his regulars, and hanging at the Rey at night. Not for me, but he thrives that way. Another buddy stays in Escazu and spends time with other americans who works down there. He swears there are no shortage of companions and will not 'waste time' in the gulch.
It does take time in CR.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:26 pm 

Kb9ora wrote:

What about costaricamcbeth.com?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:38 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Local buses are cheap and cover the country extensively. Get a guide book and get to know the country.

In San Jose there is even an English theater: www.littletheatregroup.org

Many celebrations in different areas of Costa Rica, most of them close to San Jose. Festival de la Luz, Zapote, Palmares, concerts with international artists (Parque Viva, Estadio Nacional, Estadio Saprissa, Teatro Nacional, Teatro Melico Salazar), sport events and so on.

Sometimes it is difficult to find information on what is happening. A lot of information can be found on the Ticotimes events page: http://www.ticotimes.net/tags/events or on http://www.whereincostarica.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:58 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

All there is to do there is drink, gamble and screw. I do not gamble 8) First said by Zebra :-) funny thing is Zebra does not drink or gamble.

The moral is do not move there. Many a good man has fallen into that trap and end up drinking every day. In about five years or so they fry their liver and are done.

Last edited by Laredokid on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:36 am 

Laredokid wrote:
All there is to do there is drink, gamble and screw. I do not gamble 8) First said by Zebra :-) funny thing is Zebra does not drink or gamble.

Thank you for your tremendous insight.