www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bare Fare challenge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:37 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I used to take only 3 trips a year, but now that I am a direct flight away from my favorite destinations, I am fine tuning the art of the shorter, but more frequent, almost-monthly trip. Spirit Airlines has a connection close by, and I'm racking up the miles using their credit card.

I can avoid Spirit's check in and carry on luggage fees by just travelling with a small backpack. I'm going to attempt to do this on a 4 night trip.

I'll be staying in a hotel, so I can pack fewer changes of close by washing them in the sink.

Any suggestions on what should be on the packing list and what can stay home?

(someone cue the scene from Doctor Strangelove where Slim Pickens is playing a B-52 bomber crewman inventorying his survival kit.)

"I'm not one those pathetic lietuenant colonels working a silly civilian job, working out two hours a day trying to reclaim a body they lost 20 years ago and four hours a night completing War College by correspondence in a sad attempt at colonel. Tyler Durden told us [i]'Self improvement is masturbation[/i].' My mid-life crisis is going to involve a new sports car, or the zoftig redhead with daddy issues in accounting, or better yet, racking up frequent flyer miles going to Pattaya."

Post subject: Re: Bare Fare challenge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:08 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

maybe consider staying somewhere that has a washer and dryer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:25 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I did the clothes in the sink thing ages ago in Europe. Washing is easy, figuring out how to get the stuff laid out to dry is the challenge.

You'll want some clothesline and a handful of clothespins. A sink stopper - flat kind like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012P77TPO/re ... gxbBY8KRY7

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:37 am 

just121 wrote:
maybe consider staying somewhere that has a washer and dryer.
Or a hotel that has laundry service.

The packing list, at a bare minimum: toiletries, two pairs of slacks (no jeans), three shirts (preferably the quick-dry type, if you wash them in the sink), socks and underwear. Roll your shirts individually into a roll, like a can of biscuits - much easier to pack. I have heard of people who will wear layers of clothing, but I think that is going a little overboard.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:03 am 

Not sure what you have for a backpack... or what Spirit's "rules" are. Must it fit under the seat?

I have this backpack - it's awesome and has internal and external compression straps. You can really cinch it down. Not cheap but I've had it for 5yrs and use it constantly.

http://shop.sandpiperca.com/index.php/g ... black.html

GoodDayJohn has a pretty good list. I bring enough socks because they take forever to dry... anything cotton you're going to want to wear and wash early.

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:38 pm 

Lots of good advice from my fellow monger-nauts here.

As for drying clothes quickly, I've learned to take damp clothing, lay them flat on a towel laid out flat, and then roll the clothing in the towel. There is always dry surface touching both sides of the garments, so when you roll them tight, and then sit on the roll, the thirsty towels soak up the moisture. Things like socks, underwear, and briefs are then put over table or bed lamp shades. Leave the lights on, and the mild heat produced by the lamp will dry those clothes out....albeit very slowly.

I would not be caught dead in the polyester clothing of the 1970s, but todays microfiber products are attractive and do not hang onto water after washing. Just make sure to wash well, so they do not trap odors.

I have gotten good results from those packing, space-compressing, vacuum plastic bags and the use of those plastic squares the clothing stores use for folding clothing. Fold your shirts like they will be on display at the Gap. Then stack them on the plastic template itself. Then, slide the pile into the space bag. Seal the zip lock all the way and use the valve for the vacuum cleaner hose or leave the zip lock open an inch or two. When no vacuum cleaner is handy, sit or lie on the bag to squeeze out the air. Voila! You have packed 4 underwear, 4 shirts, two slacks (not jeans), and possibly even you sox into a stack no taller than 3 inches.

Cargo pants are your friend and the choice of flying wear. Six pockets make for almost a briefcase full of carrying capacity. Yes, TSA security will try to discombobulate you....that's their job. So put a plastic bag in your pocket and when you have to empty your pockets, put it all in the plastic shopping bag, and put the bag inside your carry on bag, or tie it to your carry-on...which ever way makes you more comfortable regarding TSA area thieves.

I used to bring many chica gifts. They take up lots of space.

"I'm not one those pathetic lietuenant colonels working a silly civilian job, working out two hours a day trying to reclaim a body they lost 20 years ago and four hours a night completing War College by correspondence in a sad attempt at colonel. Tyler Durden told us [i]'Self improvement is masturbation[/i].' My mid-life crisis is going to involve a new sports car, or the zoftig redhead with daddy issues in accounting, or better yet, racking up frequent flyer miles going to Pattaya."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:43 pm 

hotdogg wrote:
Not sure what you have for a backpack... or what Spirit's "rules" are. Must it fit under the seat?

I have this backpack - it's awesome and has internal and external compression straps. You can really cinch it down. Not cheap but I've had it for 5yrs and use it constantly.

Ah, the kind of bag the latest generation of veterans call "an AWOL bag."

Yes, the bag must fit under the seat in order to be considered a "personal item" like a woman's purse, and therefore must be smaller than the dimensions of an overhead compartment bag. Fortunately, the weather in SJO this time of year is very forgiving. 70-85 degree range with occasional showers is not a show stopper.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:44 pm 

Awesome... and to think you asked us for advice!

The plastic bag for the security pocket dump is an excellent idea.

Travel size stuff is generally a rip off, but for unique things or hard to downsize items I've ordered from this site:

www.minimus.biz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:50 pm 

JTF-Bravo wrote:
hotdogg wrote:

Ah, the kind of bag the latest generation of veterans call "an AWOL bag."

Yes, the bag must fit under the seat in order to be considered a "personal item" like a woman's purse, and therefore must be smaller than the dimensions of an overhead compartment bag. Fortunately, the weather in SJO this time of year is very forgiving. 70-85 degree range with occasional showers is not a show stopper.

On the bug out bag - if I take out the rigid stays and don't load it full I can manage to get it under the seat. SOC's "Three Day Pass" is probably more in line with under seat stowage though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:56 pm 

A few thoughts:
Look at getting a couple pairs of pants that can be converted into shorts, they are available at a place like Bass Pro Shops or North Face. The usually have cargo pockets and are either nylon or cotton/nylon for fast drying.
Especially in rainy season, when it is highly likely your shoes will get wet, a good pair of sandals come in handy. I like the Keen brand, more expensive but worth it over time on my view. They have toe protection and dry out rather quickly. They are extremely durable.
My last thought is pick up a couple light plastic ponchos for about a dollar each instead of a rain coat or umbrella. I have been caught out in the rain more times than I want to count, and it comes in handy when you have a limited selection of clothes to choose from.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:04 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I don't know where you are planning on staying, but if I remember correctly, La Amistad has free laundry service. That would solve the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:16 pm 

Tipicaman wrote:
I don't know where you are planning on staying, but if I remember correctly, La Amistad has free laundry service. That would solve the problem.

I'm staying at the Dunn Inn. Does anyone know if they have free laundry?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:19 pm 

Flabuck wrote:
A few thoughts:
Look at getting a couple pairs of pants that can be converted into shorts, they are available at a place like Bass Pro Shops or North Face. The usually have cargo pockets and are either nylon or cotton/nylon for fast drying.
Especially in rainy season, when it is highly likely your shoes will get wet, a good pair of sandals come in handy. I like the Keen brand, more expensive but worth it over time on my view. They have toe protection and dry out rather quickly. They are extremely durable.
My last thought is pick up a couple light plastic ponchos for about a dollar each instead of a rain coat or umbrella. I have been caught out in the rain more times than I want to count, and it comes in handy when you have a limited selection of clothes to choose from.

Not sure I want to wear pants that could be converted into shorts...looks too gringo. Pants made out of nylon? You mean like parachute pants? Wait..stop...its Hammer Time!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:32 pm 

Silk, silk pimp suit.... yheaaaaa!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:42 pm 

I thought you were going for practicality over fashion. :lol: :shock:
I guess no Members Only Jacket.