www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:23 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

LAdiablo wrote:
Kb9ora wrote:
Until he had his serious accident, I would suggest Pops from Pop's tours. He is a very informative person and helpful to newbies with his knowledge. I haven't heard any updates on whether he is is back up and running as before.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

i know you mean well but Pops is not a driver for transportation from the airport.
and he does not do newbie walk abouts since being hit by a motorcycle. at least thats what he told me last week.

Didn't mean to make it sound like he did airport transports regularly, just that he would check to be sure you had a way and if necessary help you out. Thats why I mentioned him.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:36 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I didn't run into Pops my last trip in town. Hope he's doing well with the recovery!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:06 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

One Lucky Dogg wrote:
jeffersonw7 wrote:
I apologize if I'm the 900th person to ask this, but this will be my 3rd trip to Costa Rica and I always take the $30 cab ride to HDR...is there any other option?

Another option might be to take the bus. If you are on a tight budget and have a lot of time, the public bus is not a bad way of going. Walk out of the terminal and to the main highway. Take a right and you will see a bus stop on the right. When a bus pulls up, just say San Jose. They will either say si or no. Some of the buses go to Alejuela first and then to San Jose. Get on the bus and get going. For about $1 you will get to San Jose, Alejuela bus stop, close to Coca Cola bus terminal. From there it's just a short 2 mil taxi ride to the HDR. So now you have $5 invested. Great way to get where you want to go and not spend much money. Have fun on your trip.

Given its your business I think you are a class act to post this helpful info - have heard nothing but great things about you and Puravida Transport.

(Not to put too fine a point on it, the bus is really cheap, and if you get a direct - ASK "Directo a San Jose" - not the end of the world, but you don't want the one that stops in Alajuala first :wink: - it only make a few stops, there are no chickens or goats aboard, and with a taxi to my hotel, I find myself spending less than $5.

OTOH, if it was my first trip or two, was late at night <I took a really late flight once and I believe the bus stops running at midnight - someone can say who knows for sure - all I know was there was no bus at 1:30 AM - the late Spirit flight from FLL> , I had a bunch of luggage....the bus would not be an option)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:37 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hi, I've never heard anyone say exactly how much the public bus costs in colones one way? thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:51 pm 

The Tuasa public bus (red and White) from the airport into San Jose costs about 520 colones....a little more than $1. It runs past the airport on the street in front of the terminal building about every 10-15 minutes, or more frequently. Busses only take colones and will have change for small bills.

The last stop in San Jose is the one that you want......it's at the Tuasa Terminal on Avenide 2, between Calle 12 and Calle 14. Everybody will get off there.

Taxis are plentiful at the bus terminal to take you to your hotel. A metered taxi from the Tuasa terminal into the gulch will cost about $2-$3 , depending on the traffic. Most taxis take colones or dollars at 500:1 exchange rate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:10 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

that's great info, thank you. I was wondering if they gave change for small bills. going from San Jose to the airport, does it stop in Alajuala first, and then the airport? how long does that take? do you have to ask them to stop at the airport? I'd love to save $60 on taxi costs on the next trip by taking the bus both ways.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:47 am 

Going from SJ to the airport, you get in the line at the Tuasa terminal for the DIRECTO bus. Those busses have signs in the front window that say DIRECTO.

Just ask the attendants marshaling the busses, "Directo Aeropuerto???". They will tell you which bus goes directly to the airport before continuing on its way other Tuasa terminal in Alejuela Centro. To be sure, you can ask the driver the same question as you get on the bus.

I was on one DIRECTO bus going to the airport when the driver announced something that I didn't understand about the aeropuerto. I hadn't asked anything before boarding the bus which I knew was the correct bus.

At the fork in the road near the airport, he started to go toward Alejuela instead of toward the airport. :(

I was sitting near the driver, and was able to get his attention soon enough to let him know that this stupid gringo needed the airport. :oops:

He mumbled some grumpy admonishment to me. :evil:

I'm guessing that his earlier announcement was asking if anybody needed the airport while he was driving the Directo bus. :roll: I thought that he was announcing that the AEROPUERTO WAS NEXT. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The airport is about 15 miles from the terminal. Most of the way is on a 4-lane, divided highway. The travel time for a bus (or for a taxi) depends on the traffic. Without an accident and without the rush hour, the travel time is about 20-30 minutes. In the morning rush hour, it can take 30 minutes to get out of the city center onto the highway.

I'm glad to give the girls the $60 I save by taking the bus. They're glad, too. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:39 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
So let's say you by accident get on the non-Directo bus and wind up in Alajuela Centro. Then what? Stay on the same bus, paying a few more colones and finally get to SJ? Or do you have to change buses?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:52 pm 

There is another company that runs the downtown to airport route by the name of Station Wagon as well. Pick up and drop off are in the same area. I rode the TUASA bus from downtown to the airport and their fleet looks much newer and nicer than Station Wagon. Buses run every 10 minutes or so. Bus works fine unless you have a lot of luggage to manage, carrying from the drop off point to airport terminal is about 200 yards or so, and you have to walk up the ramp to departures. You are at ground level when you arrive at SJO, just have to walk past the herd just outside of arrivals. I always try to hold back a few dollars in colons from a previous trip to use or you can go upstairs and exchange some before getting the bus.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:17 pm 

JazzboCR wrote:
So let's say you by accident get on the non-Directo bus and wind up in Alajuela Centro. Then what? Stay on the same bus, paying a few more colones and finally get to SJ? Or do you have to change buses?

You pay one fare. Stay on the bus and your final destination is the Tuasa terminal in downtown.

cheers,
Attila

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:22 pm 

Flabuck wrote:
There is another company that runs the downtown to airport route by the name of Station Wagon as well. Pick up and drop off are in the same area. I rode the TUASA bus from downtown to the airport and their fleet looks much newer and nicer than Station Wagon. Buses run every 10 minutes or so. Bus works fine unless you have a lot of luggage to manage, carrying from the drop off point to airport terminal is about 200 yards or so, and you have to walk up the ramp to departures. You are at ground level when you arrive at SJO, just have to walk past the herd just outside of arrivals. I always try to hold back a few dollars in colons from a previous trip to use or you can go upstairs and exchange some before getting the bus.

I've seen those Station Wagon but never use their service. Where do they drop you off downtown?

cheers,
Attila

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:13 pm 

I believe that it is one block over on Ave 4 from TUASA, Calle 12-14 for both
The TUASA station is under cover so you are not waiting in the elements, especially in rainy season. Not sure about the Station Wagon pick up point. There is food and drink available there as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:03 pm 

Just check on google map. Terminal Tuasa is on ave.2, between calle 12 & 14, across from Parque de la Merced. Terminal Station Wagon Alajuela is just east of the Terminal Tuasa on ave. 2 between calle 10 & 12.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:00 am 

I use Interbus www.interbusonline.com it costs $15 each way! I have never had any problems or issues. They are waiting for me outside when I exit the airport..and pick me up at the hotel when I leave.. very professional and love them..can't beat the price.
I highly recommend them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:52 pm 

I take the bus every trip, it takes maybe 15 minutes longer than a taxi and for under a dollar it is a great deal.