www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:54 pm 
But the devil is always in the details.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:35 pm 
DIVERSIFY! DIVERSIFY! DIVERSIFY! Simply put, SPREAD YOUR RISKS or don't take the risk to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:25 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

IRRC I read a thread on this forum about a Gringo that either died or lost his leg due to the delay of someone paying up front for the medical help.

Somebody correct me if i am wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 pm 

Yosh1234 wrote:
Since I'm just the little guy on the totem pole, I do not buy that stuff. I view it as a waste of money borderline fear mongering Stuart little the sky is falling. If you get sick, go to the local store and get some medicines. If you get really sick, go to the hospital. Either pay for it then and there or don't pay at all. Whatever set up they have. If you don't pay then and there I wouldn't pay for it.that's a risk the government takes by letting me visit their country. Save your money. If you're in need of medical help, I highly doubt they will turn you away. If they do, go to the store and stock up on medicines. Must not be that serious. How much money do you spend per insured trip vs one probably never going to happen visit to a foreign hospital due to being extremely sick? damn near your death bed. Over indulging in alcohol does not count. Deal with it. It's amazing how easy people lose contact with reality by visiting overseas. Do the same shit you would do in your home country. I don't think you need insurance on a short term stay in a foreign country. Unless, you have a serious medical condition that requires constant care.

Or you could be like those guys and gals on locked up abroad exploring dangerous territories only to be kidnapped and rescued by their government. Then, receive a bill for $25000 because they had to call in a chopper to pick your dumb ass up in the middle of the jungle somewhere. Insurance may be applicable then. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

Sorry... Most third world countries are not like the US. You must prepay in advance. I believe in cash too. They have no problem with watching you die.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:12 pm 
Yosh1234 wrote:
I do not buy that stuff. I view it as a waste of money borderline fear mongering Stuart little the sky is falling

The reason I have begun purchasing trip insurance (usually less that $30 for a trip) is from an incident that I am familiar with. A gringo vacationer was white water rafting down a river in Costa Rica. A large branch from a tree fell into the river and struck the gringo as he was passing by. The man was critically injured with brain injuries and was languishing in a hospital in Costa Rica. The family back in Texas could not afford an air ambulance to get him back since it is over $60,000. Finally, an anonymous benefactor paid the air ambulance after reading about it in the paper.

I would hate to put my family on the spot if something bad were to ever happen to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:25 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Depending on what type of coverage you want, check your credit card benefits guides. I have a MC that has enough travel insurance and medical abroad insurance to meet my needs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:24 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I'm headed to SE Asia in October for three weeks. Though in good health, I just turned 60 and was a bit paranoid as to what might happen if I had some sort of major medical problem. My private health insurance would not do much for me out of the country.

I purchased a policy through American Express for $32. Note this is JUST the medical insurance, not the related Travel cancellation / delay stuff that you can also purchase. The main reason I got it is that they cover evacuating me back to the states if it is necessary. There isn't any deductible and the coverage is as follows:

Global Medical Protection-Gold

● Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation (Maximum Per Trip Limit)-Up to $100,000
● Emergency Dental (Maximum Per Trip Limit)-Up to $750
● Emergency Medical (Maximum Per Trip Limit)-Up to $100,000

For $32 it is cheap for basically peace of mind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:22 pm 

Yosh1234 wrote:
or don't pay at all. Whatever set up they have. If you don't pay then and there I wouldn't pay for it.that's a risk the government takes by letting me visit their country. Save your money.

I don't know you but I can't believe you posted this. You are no better than the welfare scum & illegals in the U.S. who take advantage of the Drs. & hospitals here that try to help. How about being part of the solution instead of part of the problem? Tell me why you are entitled to health care & don't want to pay for it if you can get away with it!