www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Travel Health Insurance
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:27 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Has anyone purchased health insurance for stays of 30 days or longer that can they can recommend?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:37 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Jackietrehorn wrote:
Has anyone purchased health insurance for stays of 30 days or longer that can they can recommend?

Buy it with your plane ticket and it is good for your entire stay. They have different levels of coverage. also check to see if your carrier covers out of country to limit costs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:55 pm 

If you travel more than three times a year you can purchase an outside travel policy that covers all the same issues, (medical flights, hospitalization, etc.) much cheaper than per flight insurance cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:09 pm 

Thank you, I am aware of these things. I am looking for a recommendation for an insurance carrier. Thank you.

Last edited by Jackietrehorn on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:55 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

http://www.worldnomads.com/ :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:35 pm 

Thanks MG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:45 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I use MedEx on certain trips. It depends if I am in the backcountry or not?

http://www.frontiermedex.com

It is about $5 per day. 100K full coverage and 100% Evacuation Coverage

-Austin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:45 pm 

This is a good topic, hope we keep getting more good material here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:07 pm 

http://www.insuremytrip.com/index.html
http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/
http://www.roamright.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:39 pm 
I always buy trip insurance in case of a medical emergency or trip delay. For my last trip, I purchased an Allianz policy. I had my first delay ever last January during the big snow storms. After returning, I submitted all the required documentation a total of 3 times through the website. I followed up numerous times. I was mercilessly dicked around for a $212 claim. I was pissed and would not give up. Finally, I submitted a complaint with with my state's Insurance Commission. I received a check last week after 7 months of bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:54 pm 

I have been buying trip insurance from Allianz whenever I book my ticket but never had occasion to make a claim till last year when I went to Germany and got a throat infection that would not go away. Finally in Switzerland I went to a doctor who gave me a prescription for a weeks worth of antibiotics.
Cost me a total of 212 euros. I submitted the claim to Allianz and they paid me in about 6 weeks - no questions asked.
I keep trying to figure out where I caught the infection. I had visited a friend a week earlier who had some throat infection but I was fine till the day after a visit to a FKK club in Frankfurt where I indulged in heavy DATY with at least 3 girls. I have never got an infection in Costa Rica where I do the same thing so I really cannot be sure what brought it on.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:06 am 
Since I'm just the little guy on the totem pole, I do not buy that stuff. I view it as a waste of money borderline fear mongering Stuart little the sky is falling. If you get sick, go to the local store and get some medicines. If you get really sick, go to the hospital. Either pay for it then and there or don't pay at all. Whatever set up they have. If you don't pay then and there I wouldn't pay for it.that's a risk the government takes by letting me visit their country. Save your money. If you're in need of medical help, I highly doubt they will turn you away. If they do, go to the store and stock up on medicines. Must not be that serious. How much money do you spend per insured trip vs one probably never going to happen visit to a foreign hospital due to being extremely sick? damn near your death bed. Over indulging in alcohol does not count. Deal with it. It's amazing how easy people lose contact with reality by visiting overseas. Do the same shit you would do in your home country. I don't think you need insurance on a short term stay in a foreign country. Unless, you have a serious medical condition that requires constant care.

Or you could be like those guys and gals on locked up abroad exploring dangerous territories only to be kidnapped and rescued by their government. Then, receive a bill for $25000 because they had to call in a chopper to pick your dumb ass up in the middle of the jungle somewhere. Insurance may be applicable then. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:20 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
As Bro Srilm's Post shows, an attorney can be a useful tool to employ AFTER (and only after) there is some actual wrong done. To go into something with this cudgel in these kinds of affairs can make a bad/grief-stricken situation that much worse. Please don't take this as an anti-attorney diatribe--I did say "useful tool". Whatever anyone thinks, insurance coverage of whatever type IS NOT a necessary evil. Not sure I'd go with the "mafia" model--insurance companies don't threaten harm if you don't buy it--just protection/easing of pain if it does. Merely my opinion...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:24 pm 
Srilm...so you have a TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR DEDUCTIBLE on top of a $55 (12*55+2000=2660) per month payment per year? No wonder the insurance company pays for everything after that high ass deductible and high ass monthly payment. You've already paid for all your medical expenses. Little risk for them. For real man, that shit is waaaayyyyyyy overpriced. I bet your insurance agent is getting a cut on that $55 payment and high ass deductible if activated. He's not going to tell you. However, he will tell you everything about how "great" it is.

Recognize the difference between a salesman disguised as a financial adviser/actuary etc vs a REAL professional. If one has to BUY a coverage, you should already KNOW what you need. If anyone walks in an insurance agency not knowing what they want, they'll sell you the dumbest plan ever at the highest costs. Besides, you can purchase these coverages on your own; simply call the issuing company and avoiding the middle man with mark-ups. Middle men are worthless; in most cases. There are a few good ones, but most are salesmen. Anytime someone is offering to sell you a service, product or good alarm bells start to ring in my head. No one is supposed to market to you. You're supposed to know what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:37 pm 

Nobody is smart enough to know EVERYTHING about what is needed or is desired. The wise among us will know the things that we DON'T know.

It is often said that >>>>> what you don't know.....won't hurt you.

But what will REALLY hurt you is the stuff that you THINK you know....but DON'T actually know. That's the stuff that is harmful.

Unfortunately, it is too rare these days that an agent is NOT motivated by greed and personal gain..... But it is possible to find an agent who is not greedy and disinterested in his customer's well-being.

I had an insurance agent who I would trust with my wallet and with my life. He was a good personal friend.