www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:47 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Rainman, I know what you mean. Living here is a mixed bag. There are things that would drive any "A" type personality absolutely nuts. I just let it roll off my back. Latest example. I wanted to get a gun for the house. My lawyer suggested SA ownership of same was better. Everything was fine UNTIL the bright boys downtown at the Policia thought I was running a security guard company because of 1 word in the corporate name. Therefore, they required me to get a carry concealed weapon permit before the SA could purchase the gun. That requires taking a wriiten test, a shooting test and a psych. test. Just figure more cost and time. Hey, I'm retired. I've got a lot of time on my hands! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:54 pm 

CR will always be close to my heart.

But the fact that I don't feel safe alone at night, can find very little in the way of edible food AND the fact I've found MDE means CR will always be my stopover enroute to other locales.

But it was my first mongering destination and will always hold a small amount of charm.

But ya ya, I'm a MDE man now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:20 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Im in.

I will forever draw anger whenever anyone tries to argue Costa Rica is more fun then PI, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, China, Hong Kong, or Cambodia. Thee list shall probably be expanded, but it'll take some time 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:18 pm 

Location: Referred to the OIG by Mucho Gusto after mysterious fire at his gay night club.
Phoenix Rising wrote:

And finally..which is more relevant? Objective or Subjective SUCKINESS? For example, let's say that we can present a very strong argument about why OBJECTIVELY Thailand is far better mongering than Costa Rica. Lets say you go to Thailand and IT SUCKS! What then?

Things to ponder.... :)

Then you fly 3.5 hours to the Philippines which in my opinion SUCKS but nearly as bad as CR Sucks. Or you go to Cambodia, Singapore, or some other place for equally as cheap! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:34 pm 

Rainman3 wrote:
. I still visit CR for short extended weekend trips and I am still capable of having a good time there but that is because I take it for what it is!

I get a real kick out of all the guys who refuse to hear anything negative about CR. It seems that it is their Holy Grail and they cannot even contemplate the thought of trying somewhere different.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Costa Rica is a great monger destination but i think that variety is the spice of life.....Hombres try different places so that you won't get bored of the same routine.I have a weekend trip to TJ this weekend,Medellin for 5 nights next week, and Rio for 6 nights at the end of March.As for Costa Rica i just booked a trip June 11-15th.!For me i love them all! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:59 pm 

Location: Referred to the OIG by Mucho Gusto after mysterious fire at his gay night club.
DrForm wrote:
Costa Rica is a great monger destination but i think that variety is the spice of life.....Hombres try different places so that you won't get bored of the same routine.I have a weekend trip to TJ this weekend,Medellin for 5 nights next week, and Rio for 6 nights at the end of March.As for Costa Rica i just booked a trip June 11-15th.!For me i love them all! 8)

Yeah, but you are the Doctor!

Can't wait to see you Saturday! First shot of tequila is on me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:59 pm 

Flyboy wrote:
Rainman, I know what you mean. Living here is a mixed bag. There are things that would drive any "A" type personality absolutely nuts. I just let it roll off my back. Latest example. I wanted to get a gun for the house. My lawyer suggested SA ownership of same was better. Everything was fine UNTIL the bright boys downtown at the Policia thought I was running a security guard company because of 1 word in the corporate name. Therefore, they required me to get a carry concealed weapon permit before the SA could purchase the gun. That requires taking a wriiten test, a shooting test and a psych. test. Just figure more cost and time. Hey, I'm retired. I've got a lot of time on my hands! :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about a new SA with just three letters for the name or ubiquitious non applicable name... or the test, test, & test? What if you want a shot gun? same stuff still? Pump action is the world's best security system alarm. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:34 pm 

Location: Stuck in Louisiana"dreaming bout Paisitas, Calenas & Costenas"
[quote="DrForm
:wink: :wink: :wink:[/quote]Costa Rica is a great monger destination but i think that variety is the spice of life.....Hombres try different places so that you won't get bored of the same routine.I have a weekend trip to TJ this weekend,Medellin for 5 nights next week, and Rio for 6 nights at the end of March.As for Costa Rica i just booked a trip June 11-15th.!For me i love them all! 8)[/quote]

DrForm,

What I would give to have the amount of free time that you have available for your travels. God! you cannot possibly even begin to imagine how jealous I am. I work long hours in my business sometimes late into the night and weekends to enable myself to get away as much as I do now.

Well maybe one day in my future!
8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:47 pm 

Wit, thanks. I knew that the moment you said it. Actually, Woody kind of reminds me of him.

Flyboy has a point. Living in Central or South America is different. Retiring there has strong points. But the club is about guys who travel, right?

My father always tormented whether having a a camper beat having a house on a lake. Turns out he never had either. But I heard the rap regularly, which was around whether having the camper wouldn't offer more flexibility. While he liked the idea of the house, someplace familiar, and knowing every fishing hole in the lake, he didn't like the idea of going to the same place when he had time off. On the other hand, the camper offered variety and limitless possibilities, but there'd always be a little apprehension going to new places. They might be better...or duds.

Now holes, fishing, or otherwise, are an important consideration. What were we talking about...?

"...and if men didn't have this unquenchable desire to have sex with women, then they wouldn't have anything to do with women at all. I certainly wouldn't..."

Last edited by Jazz Musician on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:07 pm 

Spanky wrote:

Can't wait to see you Saturday! First shot of tequila is on me!
Amigo i look forward to seeing you as well and i have never turned down a shot of tequila!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:19 pm 

Rainman3 wrote:

DrForm,

What I would give to have the amount of free time that you have available for your travels. God! you cannot possibly even begin to imagine how jealous I am. I work long hours in my business sometimes late into the night and weekends to enable myself to get away as much as I do now.

Well maybe one day in my future!
8) 8) 8)
Rainman i consider myself a very fortunate man. I love my job and it allows me to have much free time to travel to different parts of the world. I have met some great people on the journey and try to show respect whereever i go. Some day i'm sure i'll meet up with you(a paisa lover equal to me) as i feel Medellin will be my number 1 destination for many reasons. Again i do not feel any monger destination sucks.....I love them all! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:37 pm 

DrForm wrote:
Again i do not feel any monger destination sucks.....I love them all! 8)

I should point out that GR started the CR Sucks and we just kinda stuck with it. You know a tradition thing. :D So while we really think CR is limiting, we show respect for the originator. :D

After about 8 beers and 4 tequilas on Saturday I'll explain the concept. I might have some girls from the Hong Kong Club as exhibits. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:45 pm 

PR

I think that we are speaking subjective sucking here, because all the members of the CR Sucks Club enjoyed CR at one time or the other (compare that to Blazers, for whom CR sucked from the start). For at least a couple of your elite brotherhood within a brotherhood, CR didn't suck until just recently. For Spanky, it was his second trip to the far east that convinced him of the suckiness of CR. For you, it was a gradual thing. For GR, who the hell knows, because although CR sucks, he keeps coming back. For UDub, it was because CR didn't seem so great without his favorita.

I suspect that for Spanky and for UDub, the thrill of a new and more exciting venue replaced the thrill of the familiar. CR provides a 'fix' for a lot of us and when that fix doesn't provide the juice it used to, a person can easily blame the fix.

I can tell you amigo that you have put the whole "CR sucks" issue in a more thoughtful context. You mentioned in another post that it was you that changed and not CR. That can happen with 40 trips in 3 years, to be sure.

I will miss not having you around. :cry: On the other hand, with Spanky's absence, CR sucks a little less. :wink:

Ciaociao (with 18 trips to CR and two to Rio in 20 months)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:36 am 

Ciaociao32001 wrote:
. CR provides a 'fix' for a lot of us and when that fix doesn't provide the juice it used to, a person can easily blame the fix.

Very well said amigo!!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:10 am 

Okay - time for the "Prez" to weigh in...(Good Lord, what hath I begat...) :roll:

A little over a year ago, I wrote the following in a trip report after my second trip to Rio:

Quote:
So where does that leave Costa Rica? (You diehard CR fans may want to stop reading at this point). Well, it’s a nice little country with amazing natural beauty, a strong democratic political tradition and sense of social equity, and warm, friendly people. But for mongering - in no way, shape or form can it compare with the richness, scope, and intensity of experience available in Rio. At this point, I see it’s utility limited to the following:

1) As a “Tijuana surrogate” for guys in the southeast U.S. who can jump on a plane and be there in less than three hours for a quick weekender “get your rocks off and leave” type of trip. Even though you can easily fly to CR direct from L.A., with 11 hours total air travel involved, it makes more sense just to jump in a car and head to Tijuana – just as cheap, and with actually a greater number of options available. And if I have four to six nights, I’m going to Medellin, Cartagena, Cali, Panama City – maybe even the DR or Cuba – all not much more difficult to get to, and all reportedly better scenes than CR.

2) For a longer “combo trip” where you can hook up with a favorita and spend some time touring the country – checking out the gorgeous beaches, volcanoes, rain forests, etc., and also get in a little mongering on the side. I see Peru in very much the same vein – with it’s wonderous natural beauty and tourist attractions, I would never do a week-long trip there without checking all that out. But if I’m doing a trip of a week or more strictly to monger, I’m going to Rio – or maybe in the future, Thailand or the Philippines – where the overall experience and bang-for-the-buck more than justifies the additional travel involved.

3) As a “base of operations” for guys who are set up well enough financially that they can live there full-time without working. I still see a huge upside to living in CR, especially in the Central Valley. Wonderful climate, lower housing costs and cost of living (compared to the U.S.), decent enough infrastructure, enough Americans and American-influence so that you won’t feel like a fish out of water, etc. You also get to know the scene and reap more benefits than is possible if just visiting on vacation (discounts, non-pros, etc.), and other destinations in Latin America now become all that much more easily accessible.

And that for me still about sums it up. Granted, it is possible to have a good time in CR. But most of the time, it takes a lot of luck or too much damn work, or a little of both. It's much more of a "hit and miss" type of place than other destinations I've been too - the girls much more about business than going out and having a good time. Rio blows it away for quality of women and venues, service attitudes, you name it. Medellin provides much higher quality women on average with again better service attitudes. Even little Sosua in the Dominican Republic has both better daytime (La Passions) and nightime (Classicos disco) venues than anything in San Jose at present - and at better prices. And all these venues I think benefit from the fact that they haven't yet been flooded by casual, undemanding gringo mongerers from the U.S. - or at least in the case of Rio where U.S. gringos aren't in any way dominant.

In our post-trip recap this time, one of the things PR and I discussed was whether it was mostly us or CR that has changed. Ciao is right to say that I once enjoyed CR a lot - hell, the evidence is all over the board - but I'm not sure now that the scene is really a whole lot different overall than the time of my first trip in November of '04. Even my very first session - a dupla I pulled out of the Del Rey on my first night for a $100/each TLN - was only an equivocal success; the sex fairly hot - but I quickly gave up on the TLN idea when the girls turned on the TV and began raiding the mini-bar at Amon Plaza afterwards (imagine the joy they must have felt at a gringo kicking them out early after paying their full asking price).

Otherwise, it certainly seemed like there were a wider variety of palatable options at the time - there was a great strip club in Kamur; a great cheap MP in Oasis (though it's arguable that Relax has ably filled that niche now), Zona Blue just entering into its prime. And though I don't think the Del Rey/Key Largo has changed much over that period, Sportsmen's was just getting off the ground and certainly didn't provide the sort of selection it does now (though the "Fab Five" hotties were available at now bargain prices).

So I would have to say mostly it's us. You simply reach a point after a while where things get a bit stale - where the simple novelty of having casual sex with a young latina doesn't get you off like it used to unless it's something really special. And as Spanky says, CR is "limiting" in that sense - the venues don't provide the environment to promote the sort of ecstatic, over-the-top mongering experience that seems more possible in other places I've been to. But the opportunities to enjoy the friendships and comraderie developed both here through the board and on the ground (as experienced by many of us this past weekend) in some ways compensates. Enough I suppose, to keep me coming back for more now and then - though certainly with less frequency than before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next