www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:26 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I have to put in my 2cents on this place.
Given the red tide scare I opted for beef.
Sat by myself at the bar and got into some breezy conversations to my left and right.
I was greeted with a smile and a handshake by the manager, and two of the bartenders
I ordered the lomito Pittsburg style, which a lot of places don't know how to pull off
It was perfect
The house wine, generously poured, was spot on.
Everybody knocked themselves out for me
I know it's probably one of the most expensive places in town, but to me worth it
I went back the next night and everyone was calling me by NAME!
Obviously I'll be back.
I saw that IDEM was nearby, so I'll stop there first and build up an appetite!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:57 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

One of my favorites...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:52 pm 

Really good grilled sweetbreads too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:13 am 

we dined there on my last trip. reservations made for us by Jeff at HLH (much appreciated). we had flank steak and ribeye and were pretty impressed with the flavor of both. not cheap, but not outrageous either

kr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:15 am 

I eat here a lot. great food and Wine List and ambience.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:30 am 

Zunbake3 wrote:
I eat here a lot. great food and Wine List and ambience.

x2, have taken a favorita there a time or 2, food is always very good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:53 pm 

It has the advantage of:

walking distance to much of the Gulch
Ok place; fairly consistant; decent, professional service

Downsides:

Donde Carlos (a CRT Sponsor) while a cab ride away in Los Yoses has better food, ambience
No steak place has really good beef if the beef comes from Costa Rica - sorry, just a fact (if you are used to grain fed American beef, you will likely be disappointed in CR - so order chicken, pork or fish)
Not cheap, but what steak place is these days

A place that I was impressed with is Il Returno (also in Los Yoses - which is near downtown SJ; before you get to Mall San Pedro)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:21 pm 

I must be the only guy here who is not crazy about the place. I have been to Argentina more than once. The menu has some plates that are imported from BA so I vied for these on more than one occasion. They were just average probably since I have never had frozen meat from BA before. The place has a really good atmosphere and comfortable surroundings. If you want real steak go to Argentina but if you want to get just a taste of it go here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:20 pm 

Whitecat wrote:
I must be the only guy here who is not crazy about the place. I have been to Argentina more than once. The menu has some plates that are imported from BA so I vied for these on more than one occasion. They were just average probably since I have never had frozen meat from BA before. The place has a really good atmosphere and comfortable surroundings. If you want real steak go to Argentina but if you want to get just a taste of it go here.

I'll second that.

We ate there Sunday night. The food wasn't terrible, just not so great as the folks here make it out to be. The churrasco was undercooked and gristly. However, the service and ambiance were good. I suspect I'll give it another try next month, it is possible we got both got bad cuts.

Donde Carlos is EXCELLENT. Pricy, but one of the best steaks I've had in SJO.

mh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:21 pm 

Scuba1 wrote:
No steak place has really good beef if the beef comes from Costa Rica - sorry, just a fact (if you are used to grain fed American beef, you will likely be disappointed in CR - so order chicken, pork or fish)

Unless you try Chili's in Escazu... they must import their beef, because the two times we've eaten there the steaks were definitely a cut above what I've seen elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:36 pm 

I wouldn't say I'm crazy about it, but the food is good. It was certainly better at Fogo Brazil, but also much more expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:54 pm 

Miamiheller wrote:
Whitecat wrote:

I'll second that.

We ate there Sunday night. The food wasn't terrible, just not so great as the folks here make it out to be. The churrasco was undercooked and gristly. However, the service and ambiance were good. I suspect I'll give it another try next month, it is possible we got both got bad cuts.

Donde Carlos is EXCELLENT. Pricy, but one of the best steaks I've had in SJO.

mh

I'll third that :)

If you read my 2nd "downside" in my previous post, and I'll except Chili's since I've not been in Costa Rica, my comments stand - not looking to flame anyone, but most guys on CRT would not make it as restaurant reviewers; the food overall (although there are some exceptions) in CR - especially the Chinese food - is not great - its like a thread that was started some time ago about a Costa Rican res't in - I think - Chicago - my feeling was why bother?

I live in Miami, and we have, it seems, one of every Latin American cusine place you could imagine - but no places I'm aware serving food from Costa Rica - I love the place but a foodies paradise its not :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 am 

El Ornitorrinco wrote:
I wouldn't say I'm crazy about it, but the food is good. It was certainly better at Fogo Brazil, but also much more expensive.

What is Fogo Brazil charging for their buffet, now?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 pm 

BlueDevil wrote:
El Ornitorrinco wrote:

Last time I was there was about a yr ago...think it was around $150 for me & my chica, with before & after dinner drinks & dessert.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:31 am 

El Ornitorrinco wrote:
BlueDevil wrote:
El Ornitorrinco wrote:

Last time I was there was about a yr ago...think it was around $150 for me & my chica, with before & after dinner drinks & dessert.

Wow. it's like dining in Manhattan :!: My last tab at Fogon Brazil was about 5 years ago, and dinner for two ran around $50 - $60.