www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chubbs
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:20 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

We went to Chubbs a couple of days ago. This one is about 100 meters across from the big park between downtown and the airport. My friend that lives here in Costa Rica told me that there is a bigger Chubbs downtown, but he hates to go downtown, so I haven't seen that one.

You can definitely tell that the place is owned by a guy from the USA. Or, if it isn't, they've got me fooled. It's small. They have a bar that seats about 6 or 7 people, indoor tables for about 20 people, and outdoor tables for about 10 or 12 people. It was about halfway full yesterday, with Ticos sitting at the tables and a few guys from the USA that looked like they probably live in Costa Rica sitting at the bar.

The prices for everything on the menu are about what I pay in Seattle for the same stuff, except for the hamburgers, which are expensive here in Costa Rica. My friend told me that you can get a cheap hamburger in Costa Rica, but that good meat is expensive here. He said that he goes to Chubbs about once every other week, since it opened (it's been open for just a few months, he said). I had a cup of Clam Chowder (New England style) and the pulled pork sandwich. The chowder tasted authentic. It wasn't amazing, but it was pretty good. The pulled pork wouldn't win any awards in Memphis, but it was pretty good. The BBQ sauce probably comes out of a bottle from the grocery store.

My friend said that everything he's tried at Chubbs is pretty good, and his China/Tica girlfriend loves the place. The happy couple ordered a plate of chicken wings, which my friend says are delicious. They looked like they had plenty of meat on them, although Chubbs apparently gives you more "wingies" than "drummies." They ordered the wings naked (just the seasoning), with a couple of sauces on the side. He said, "These wings are much better when you get them naked and use the sauce for dipping. They don't cook the wings in the sauce, anyway. They just drag the cooked wings through a pan of the sauce and set them on the plate, and the sauces all come out of a bottle. The wings themselves are delicious, though."

Post subject: Re: Chubbs
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:25 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I have gotten to the point that every trip I go to the Chubbs by the HDR & get the fried chicken fingers. Very good IMO!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:44 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Good reviews of Chubb II, outattime21. You should try the one down the sidewalk from HDR...if you haven't yet!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:02 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

bandon843 wrote:
Good reviews of Chubb II, outattime21. You should try the one down the sidewalk from HDR...if you haven't yet!

If I can get my friend to take me down there, but he refuses to go anywhere near downtown. He hates it. I'm here for 3 months, so I'll probably eventually take a taxi down there.

I found it on one of the maps that somebody posted on this site. Great map! This site has a lot of good info!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:56 am 

costareeker wrote:
I have gotten to the point that every trip I go to the Chubbs by the HDR & get the fried chicken fingers. Very good IMO!

I also like the fried chicken fingers there.
Are they still serving Chubbs Balls? :)

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:31 pm 
They opened another Chubb's in escazu a few years back. So the one near LA sabana is the third. The original one downtown has slipped a bit but still good. The A team is at the escazu location.
No more Chubb balls.

Good info speedy3 board needs your input.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:38 pm 

Chubbs is mediocre to 1/2 way good in my opinion and I paid a high price for a sandwich without much meat there. It was the bar b q, acceptable, nothing great, I was irritated at the small size. I'll probably give them another try, but I like SL bar food 10x better.

There's a greasy sandwich place across from HDR that delivered a better sandwich with a lot more meat at 1/2 Chubbs price, perhaps I had a bad day or bad choice at Chubbs but I was not impressed. You can also go to that little mall by HDR and there are a few Tico places there that deliver CR food, big amounts, low prices...

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:10 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Greengo wrote:
its common knowledge in sjo :roll: .. that ..like countless gallons of old Rey hag residual jizz ...chubbs balls... firmly... and with dire affinity.. resolution ..pomp and deliberate circumstance ... are deservedly.. tenderly.. bobbling about... and caressing the numerous chins of jizz blow and flim flam 22... at last...the stars have thrown down their spears..and watered the heavens with tears at the sight of such ethereal significance.. :lol:

+1

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:01 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I have always liked Chubbs downtown. In the evening it gets taken over by Ticos these days. But, the food is generally pretty good. They serve a good casados, and the sea bass is super fine.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:34 pm 

Most of the ticos are usually gone by 9:30 or 10

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:59 pm 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Defender121 wrote:
I have always liked Chubbs downtown. In the evening it gets taken over by Ticos these days.

Are these Latinos open to convo with us on general subjects or are they tight-knit with their groups? I wouldn't expect to talk poosie or politics but how about other stuff?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:50 pm 

JazzboCR wrote:
Are these Latinos open to convo with us on general subjects or are they tight-knit with their groups? I wouldn't expect to talk poosie or politics but how about other stuff?

If you are sitting at the bar it is easy to get into conversations with anyone especially at the Escazu location since the bartender is in the middle and the bar is U shaped. If they are sitting at the tables it would be a little harder but if you are friendly I see no reason why not. I have no problems getting people conversing though.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:23 pm 

No problem at all conversing with them. Last trip a few of them brought me a couple of drinks at the bar.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:19 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Buzzfla wrote:
No problem at all conversing with them. Last trip a few of them brought me a couple of drinks at the bar.

I'm pleased to hear there's no "us vs. them" thing going on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:08 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Jazzbo: I have never had any problemat the downtown Chubbs, other than sometimes it is really packed in the early evening. Some of the Ticos start up conversation. However, most of them are young professionals or students, hanging out with their peeps. Have had some of them buy me a beer.