www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:51 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I'll be at the Amistad --if you plan to be there I'll say "Hello." Will try to truly earn my monger-wings with a respectably aggressive MP-tour and definitely hit the restaurants --suggestions welcome. The "itinerary" is flexible, so anyone wanting to hang out, or would like a wingman, let me know. Looking to raise a glass with MaxBass and a couple of other guys once in town.

BTW, anyone know if Karen's still working (and where) or is she's truly retired? I told myself I'd try to find her last year but never got around to it.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:29 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Looking forward to meeting you. I'm game for an MP tour & some fine dining. I get frustrated in CR when you drag a Tica to dinner & then she wants further compensation than the $20 you just dropped on her meal. I'd rather eat with CRT friends than have to pay the Tica tax. You game for a steak at La Esquina de Buenos Aires? I can't believe I haven't eaten there yet.

I decided to try 3 new (to me) hotels this trip. Dunn Inn, then Cocal, then Mona Lisa. I've been happy with my $36/night guest house but I want to mix things up a bit.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:03 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

You guys need to go to Tin Ho and try the Thai Peanut Curry Shrimp in a Pineapple boat. I recommend reservations though as they get busy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:20 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

theres reasonable food available in SJ but fine dining? not so much.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:20 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I was at Tin Jo a few weeks ago. I love Thai dishes but after eating Thai food in Thailand for the past few years, I'm generally disappointed in Thai dishes outside of Thailand. But I favor spicy & that is one term not understood in CR (in my experience). Even in the States, Thai restaurants generally just add red pepper flake vs using fresh Thai chilies to spicy things up. But I am familiar with the dish you are referencing. I saw pictures on TripAdvisor. Thanks for the tip. I had their salmon dish which was pretty tasty.

I agree about fine dining in Costa Rica being an oxymoron. The food isn't bad. But generally it's not particularly good. While I try to eat local cuisine in most countries I visit, I have nothing but love for the Cordon Bleu at SL. Not native cuisine but very good. I had a wicked chicken dish at the cafe in the courtyard of the cathedral in Santa Cruz a few weeks ago too. I found up in Tamarindo, Montezuma, San Ramon, La Fortuna, and all points NW of San Jose, Peruvian food is pretty popular. And I'm a fan of good ceviche.

If you have suggestions for dining options for OP & me, please share them. Particularly places within a taxi ride from the Gulch since I'm not renting a vehicle on this trip.

I want to try Soda Peru too. Can't believe after all these trips I haven't been there. They are so slammed at lunch & closed in the evening so I've never actually eaten there despite numerous attempts.

I always laugh when traveling around CR and see the "Typical Food" signs. I don't think the intent translates well. They might as well say "Generic Food".