www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:49 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Bashfull, did the lady at US immigration express any reason for the denial or did she just say "Denied" with no futther comment?

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:14 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Lennydo wrote:
Bashfull, did the lady at US immigration express any reason for the denial or did she just say "Denied" with no futther comment?

perfect question as always, Lenny. Thanks.

The letter she was handed at the consulate stated: denail under section 214 (b) "means that you were not able to demonstrate that your intended activities in the United States would be consistent with the classification of the nonimmigrant visa for which you applied."

In other words, they did not believe that she was coming to be a student. They were wrong, but after a review of the case (and BB57 jabbering 'think of it this way!'), I can understand their decision.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:02 am 

Was this for a tourist visa or the student visa?

214(b) is always given as a denial for tourist, but to be given that for a student visa means that they pretty much saw her true intentions on the spot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:14 am 

Orange wrote:

214(b) is always given as a denial for tourist, but to be given that for a student visa means that they pretty much saw her true intentions on the spot.

Perhaps it is not paranoid or a stretch to think that BD well publicized plans on this board somehow got to the ears at the consulate in San Jose....just saying.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:35 am 

Can't rule it out. I've heard of consulates checking Visajourney.com forums for dirt on visa applicants.

But I'm not sure if CRT would be a place to expect to see discussions about visa applicants.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:53 am 

Orange wrote:

to be clear: her true intentions would be to continue English studies in the USA. There was no plan or intent to convert to immigrant, and in fact I had stated that if we so desired, we would have begun the K-1 legal process.

The consulate does not have information on sponsorships: it is handled through the schools directly.

The plain and simple fact is that a single mother not in a university program is a huge red flag for any form of non-immigrant visa. Had I embraced this fact originally I could have saved myself some money and a lot of digital bruising on this forum. :mrgreen:

The 214(b) is a standard grounds for denial that is cut-pasted into denial letters. This one was clearly auto-generated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:58 am 

bandon843 wrote:
Orange wrote:

Perhaps it is not paranoid or a stretch to think that BD well publicized plans on this board somehow got to the ears at the consulate in San Jose....just saying.

I don't think we have to reach into conspiracy theory to see that her request did not meet the smell test for approval. Had she been a university student, it may have made a difference. Or if she had family here. Or whatever else was missing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:20 pm 

Agree with both of your responses above BD. You seem to be taking this rejection very well...how is she doing with this?

Maybe the outcome of the process has gotten you off the hook in this "project". In any case, good luck to you on your next approach!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:08 pm 

bandon843 wrote:
Agree with both of your responses above BD. You seem to be taking this rejection very well...how is she doing with this?

Maybe the outcome of the process has gotten you off the hook in this "project". In any case, good luck to you on your next approach!

Believe me, I was pissed. Felt that they had cheated and denied for no reason. But as I analyzed, I came to understand that they did their job correctly, and I cannot hate on them for it. She was sad, but no tears or stresses of desperation. She is not 100% convinced that she even wants to leave her country. Many of the ticas I have met have expressed this same sentiment.

My 'project' is still on the table. But we need to reflect and spend some time deciding what is best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:38 pm 

A few years back, I had a chica enrolled in the Belitz school in San Jose and after the first term they suggested they could transfer her to the Berlitz program at the university near my home and also get her a student VISA (and her son). The VISA would be good for up to 4 years whether she stayed enrolled in the Berlitz program or enrolled/attended the local ESOL and adult education program which is free. Also her son could be enrolled in the local public elementary school and receive ESOL education as well.

The things I liked about this program were
(1) That it was handled by Berlitz and they coached her on how to deal with immigration questions, since they had a financial stake in you (me) paying their tuition in the US. (rather expensive)
(2) The student VISA was valid for up to 4 years so long as she stayed in school. Even to get her GED if she's not finished high school or college if she has.
(3) If she flaked out on you and stayed in the US illegally, you would only be financially responsible for just one year. 8)
(4) So long as you don't tell the Berlitz people first of your plan, you can after the first term in the US move her to a Free English language (speak, read & write) school. It's part of the ESOL/Adult Education programs that exist in many states.
(5) And, you and she have up to 4 years to decide if you want to marry. :D :D :D

Before you completely abandon your plan, you might go visit with the folks in San Jose at the Berlitz language school. Send me a PM if you want some contacts at Berlitz.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 pm 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
In other words, they did not believe that she was coming to be a student. They were wrong, but after a review of the case (and BB57 jabbering 'think of it this way!'), I can understand their decision.

In other words, she was denied because you did not do sufficient homework before making the application.

Perhaps if immigration had seen that she was already enrolled in school in CR and that she just was trying to better her education in the US, the results might have been different and they might have viewed you as her sponsor, particularly if you had included a letter from her father disclosing that he asked you to be her sponsor to attend school in the US.

BTW, even if the student VISA is for one year at a time, if things were not working out for her to be with you in the States, she could have gone back to CR at any time and abandoned the VISA.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:01 pm 

Phoenix Rising wrote:
Maybe he has a guardian angel looking out for him. :D

Exactly what I was thinking. I am sorry for this sting, BD, but it may be a favor in disguise. As I said before, I would embark on this journey with someone you are crazy in love with and for someone who returns same.

And if you are the "Romeo" type(not a slam, I am one myself), then by all means, get a peak at Colombia. Not as fun as the Gulch, and different, but the women, ahhh... the women. Not to slam Ticas(I am sure those of you with Tica esposas and novias have great ones), take the sex and looks off the table for a minute; they are just plain off and seem to live in some dark places. Look deep in their eyes, there are some dark places inhabiting space there. Watch their actions, reasoning skills, and rationalizations. OK, I'll just say it, Ticas are nuts.

BD, I guess what I really want to say is, like everything in life, "Make Sure the Juice is Worth the Squeeze!"

Last edited by CaptainCohiba on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:03 pm 

bandon843 wrote:
Orange wrote:

Definitely a stretch. I doubt they are that ambitious. And it would be hard to narrow down who BD is just based on this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:01 pm 

[/quote]
Definitely a stretch. I doubt they are that ambitious. And it would be hard to narrow down who BD is just based on this thread.[/quote]

Agree that probably not...however, not too many Cartago 20 year old chicas, not enrolled in a CR college, single mom to a one year old baby, going to study English in Florida, sponsored by an unrelated gringo in his 50's, not the father of the Ch*ld, shows up every day for a student visa!

The amount of intelligence ran by the Homeland security department has deep tentacles...how hard could it be to have a member in CRT just to keep an eye on what a bunch of retired, horny old gringos are up to in CR? They could be looking for pedo**** activity BTW...

Never forget this is a public board.

Just a thought!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:34 pm 

Most all gringos who have been thru this US immigration process have a new point of view about illegal immigration to the US. They understand how most who want to come to the US must resort to a more dangerous and frequently more costly way of getting to the US illegally via "the beast train" in Mexico (or thru Canada).

I started a CRT thread a few months ago (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45882 ) about the unintended consequences of a too restrictive VISA program in the US.

Our Congress and our Immigration Dept have caused unintended consequences based upon a puristic view of the US. For some reason they just don't see that we are a Nation comprised of immigrants looking for a better life. The only people in the US who are not immigrants are the American Indians and their descendants. We white people and black people all came from somewhere else. Only the folks blinded by their philosophical mantra of "We're number one!" are unable to see the exhorbitant cost to the US of an unworkable immigration policy.

This is NOT to HIJACK this thread. If you have immigration comments to agree or disagree with me, please make them on the above referenced thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next