www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Last time I was in the SL, there was a sign behind the front desk stating they didn't take two different serial numbered $100s or $50s. Maybe someone can post the exact combination of letters.

The girl at the bank gave me a sideways look when I told her I didn't want those bills starting with...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Netgems wrote:
Since we're on the topic of money, I have an unrelated tip, I always bring a wad of 1's, typically $50 worth for "tipping". Since the 1000 colone is apx $2 and Americans don't like carrying those silver dollar size 500 colones coins, when it's time to give a tip, I hand out the $1 bill instead of the $2 valued 1000 colone. For those of you who are even cheaper than me, (you know who you are, you Morazon lovers) disregard this advice if you don't tip at all, but if you do, this saves a nice amount of money, perhaps enough to get in one more pounding and bj before you leave...

Netgems,

I have been thinking about this since reading it a few minutes ago. I am just trying to figure out where you would, in a week or so, tip 50 times at (only) a dollar each time.

Restaurants and sodas?- tip is almost always included, and with a c3000 meal (less than $6) in a medium priced soda, if you gave a dollar tip on top of the tip already included you would be tipping the waiter over 25%. And extremely seldom would I consider the service in a restaurant here worthy of even a 20% tip!!!

Taxi? To begin with only Gringos tip or are expected to tip. Secondly the average ride in the gulch is (if metered) less than $3. A dollar tip would be 33%!! Ticos do actually often let the taxista keep the change if it is less than c500, and the metered price is over c4000/c5000. Pirate taxi or regular taxi not using the meter? TIP?? Sorry but when you are getting over charged often 200% why in hell would anyone tip :?: :idea:

The chicas? (only) a one dollar tip!!! :?: Try that, especially with an indy that you are paying $60 to $100! Many would probably throw it back in your face. Even in the MPs, a 1 dollar tip would be looked at as "muy chino"!

The hotel maids? OK, I will give you this one, if you tip her every day! Many leave a single, larger tip the last day! The problem with one big tip the last day is one maid may have cleaned your room for 6 days and the last day she is off and a maid who has only cleaned the one day gets the big tip!!

Sorry I just cannot figure out where you would tip a dollar 50 times!! Please enlighten me/us!! :? :roll: :wink: Also, living here I know just how hard it can be to get a single dollar bill changed to colonies!! On the surface it sounds like a good idea; in reality, not so much!!!

One other thing that you mentioned: Gringos not liking to have a bunch of colony change in their pockets! yep I have heard this several times from guys. Not sure I understand it though! Do you guys not quite often have 2-3 or more dollars in change in your pocket? Yes the c500 coin is kind of big but living here and riding buses, I try to keep two or three of them all the time--every bus is a different price but almost all less than c500. If I have a c500 I just give the driver that and get change back thus not having to, as I am getting on the bus, count out in smaller coins the right amount. And, one c500 weighs a lot less than 5 c100 coins!!!! Also it is always best to have smaller coins and rojos (c1000 notes) when using a taxi-they will never have change!! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:29 pm 

BangBang,

I would definitely never tip a chica $1, I value my testicles too much. :lol: I take a lot of taxi rides out of the gulch, so for longer trips I typically give a buck, sometimes I give tips to hotel workers who do special favors for me, one maid gave me dozens of hotel pens and pads of paper, usually on a full meal that has "propina" included, I'll toss in another $1 to show my appreciation, Me and my crew always get out of the gulch to see different sites for a few days, I find myself tipping service people, guides, people who help us.

Although I am "frugal" by nature to put it lightly, (My ex wife stated my fingerprints were imbedded in all my coins) I typically like to spend and tip when on vacation. I am not so cheap, however, to ever find myself at the Morazon (private joke, fellow CRT buddy here loves the Morazon and hates Del Rey, I stay at the Del Rey and dis the Morazon).

I lived there for 2 years and also carried change in a little leather pouch I purchased on Avenida Central and found it useful for buses, but when on vacation I have no use for change, I leave it all daily for the maids or give it to handicapped Ticos begging on Av Central.

I figure if I'm generous enough to give people a buck, it's their responsibility to either spend it or convert it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:01 pm 

Netgems wrote:

I figure if I'm generous enough to give people a buck, it's their responsibility to either spend it or convert it!

I guess my response goes back to my very strong belief in "When in Rome-----" :wink: I just do not understand carrying a big stack of $1 bills when going to a (any) foreign country and passing them out instead of using the local currency especially when it is someone like you who should have a very good understanding of the local currency and how the locals (Ticos) view things!!! Yes there are some professional/business people who like dollars (in large amounts :shock: :roll: ). Hell I pay my rent in dollars because the landlord owns a business where they buy their merchandise with dollars!! But I have heard more than once the average Ticos (even beggars) complaining about getting dollars!! Yes I know they should be glad for whatever they get, but that is just not Human nature!!!! :roll: :wink: Oh well, TEHO!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:07 am 

kenbrown wrote:
BB57,

Though my trip is many moons away (End-November this year), I am hoarding away some cash so that when I get there, I will bring all the cash I need (3k USD or so) in dollars, then, as suggested by you go to the local exchange centers to get the colones. Does this sound like a sound :P plan?

As long as the "local exchange centers" you have in mind are banks (there are 2 "Cambios" at the airport too, but they are rip offs, and should be avoided) - there is a bank at the airport, across from the ticket counters - use it; you should be fine.

Once you change some $$$ its done for a while and you don't have to deal with messing around with banks in San Jose - or carrying money back and forth on the street, as well as dealing with the inefficiencies Ticos deal with and seem to accept. One trip to a bank outside of the airport one, and you will know exactly what I'm talking about :wink:

You can, of course use ATM's (remember you need a 4 digit password) but its easy to exchange some money when you land.

At the same time - its located right near the bank - buy your exit visa too - this way its done, you don't have to find places in San Jose to do this - and one less thing to worry about - this is one aspect of Costa Rica that seems to move very fast, and efficiently (after all, why not - its a tax that is pure profit to the government :roll: :) :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:51 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Scuba1 wrote:
kenbrown wrote:
BB57,

Though my trip is many moons away (End-November this year), I am hoarding away some cash so that when I get there, I will bring all the cash I need (3k USD or so) in dollars, then, as suggested by you go to the local exchange centers to get the colones. Does this sound like a sound :P plan?

As long as the "local exchange centers" you have in mind are banks (there are 2 "Cambios" at the airport too, but they are rip offs, and should be avoided) - there is a bank at the airport, across from the ticket counters - use it; you should be fine.

Once you change some $$$ its done for a while and you don't have to deal with messing around with banks in San Jose - or carrying money back and forth on the street, as well as dealing with the inefficiencies Ticos deal with and seem to accept. One trip to a bank outside of the airport one, and you will know exactly what I'm talking about :wink:

You can, of course use ATM's (remember you need a 4 digit password) but its easy to exchange some money when you land.

At the same time - its located right near the bank - buy your exit visa too - this way its done, you don't have to find places in San Jose to do this - and one less thing to worry about - this is one aspect of Costa Rica that seems to move very fast, and efficiently (after all, why not - its a tax that is pure profit to the government :roll: :) :wink:

Scuba, another alternative is when I take my morning walk, I'll pick you up at Morazan, take you to my bank (1 block away) and you can exchange you $. Wait is usually zero, you won't need a passport. The is no charge from the bank.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:15 pm 

WiseAsh wrote:
Scuba1 wrote:
kenbrown wrote:
BB57,

Scuba, another alternative is when I take my morning walk, I'll pick you up at Morazan, take you to my bank (1 block away) and you can exchange you $. Wait is usually zero, you won't need a passport. The is no charge from the bank.

You are a great guy and I love hanging out with you at your place - I hope to get down in June - thanks, Bruce :)