www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:19 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The exit tax will be included in the airline tickets...from early Dec 2014...Tickets purchased after Dec 3rd will have the tax included....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:55 am 

Osgood wrote:
The exit tax will be included in the airline tickets...from early Dec 2014...Tickets purchased after Dec 3rd will have the tax included....

Thanks for the info Osgood.

By chance, do you have a link to confirm this? And I'm curious - I bought my tickets last month for travel to CR on December 4th. Now you got me thinking. I wonder if I'll still have to pay the exit tax. Hmmmm. Oh well. Either way, this is good news for all of us.

MG :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:09 am 

http://youtu.be/JxLbHZXJ0Y4 Yes, you still need to pay taxes. Tickets purchased after Dec 3rd will have the tax included.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:43 am 

Life just got easier for Costa Rica travelers... :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:14 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Good news, thanks for the info Osgood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:24 pm 

but...but...but those poor souls working the exit tax counter will be out of jobs...oh my!!!

kr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:19 am 

about damn time! CR finally handling the transaction like every other country in the world!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:14 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

SinCity wrote:
about damn time! CR finally handling the transaction like every other country in the world!

I still pay an exit tax in the Philippines and and entrance tax into the DR. At least with the DR you can pay it ahead of time on-line and breeze through...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:35 pm 

Krico wrote:
but...but...but those poor souls working the exit tax counter will be out of jobs...oh my!!!

kr

I wouldn't put it past them to still require us to wait in line at that counter to get the slip of paper or a stamp, even though the tax will now be included in the airline ticket.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:35 pm 

About damn time

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:12 pm 

Skink wrote:
Krico wrote:

kr

I wouldn't put it past them to still require us to wait in line at that counter to get the slip of paper or a stamp, even though the tax will now be included in the airline ticket.

Like MDE, they make you get in line to get your tax exemption, waste of time. I was thinking about the form in CR, how/where will it be filled out....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:30 pm 

I have helped a few people that were not going to be able to leave without paying the tax. One poor guy was in his late 20's or early 30's and had 6 dollars on him and no credit cards. I listened to him on the phone to his mom and they would not accept her credit card over the phone. He would have needed to go to a western union and get money but miss his flight. I walked over to him and just gave him 40.00 so he could get something to eat as well, then walked away without saying anything. He could not belive a total stranger in a foreign country would just walk up to him with 40.00 in their hand and just give it to him and walk away. I saw him later in the terminal and he came up to me gave me a hug and said Thank You. All I told him was help someone else in the future when you can. I could tell he had been backpacking his way around and probably staying in Hostels. It is nice that people will not have to go through that sort of embarassment or expense of changing an airline ticket because you do not have $29.00.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:54 pm 

A solid measure of a man's character is what he does for another person when nobody else is looking.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:49 am 

Rac wrote:
A solid measure of a man's character is what he does for another person when nobody else is looking.

Hey RAC, i see this every day at ZONA 2 :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:01 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
I have helped a few people that were not going to be able to leave without paying the tax. One poor guy was in his late 20's or early 30's and had 6 dollars on him and no credit cards. I listened to him on the phone to his mom and they would not accept her credit card over the phone. He would have needed to go to a western union and get money but miss his flight. I walked over to him and just gave him 40.00 so he could get something to eat as well, then walked away without saying anything. He could not belive a total stranger in a foreign country would just walk up to him with 40.00 in their hand and just give it to him and walk away. I saw him later in the terminal and he came up to me gave me a hug and said Thank You. All I told him was help someone else in the future when you can. I could tell he had been backpacking his way around and probably staying in Hostels. It is nice that people will not have to go through that sort of embarassment or expense of changing an airline ticket because you do not have $29.00.

It says a lot <very positive> about you - and a lot <really stupid> about the guy in question.

But what do I know.....I post all the time - change money at the airport bank - then buy your exit visa - frankly, regarding the exit visa, my point is, its done, you have one less thing to worry about, and while you can buy them at certain hotels downtown, its a few dollars more and sometimes they are out of forms, or the computer link is down. Great example of a potential hassle easily avoided - plus, its done.

It never really was a benefit - to me - that if you spend all your money, and as a result, cannot leave the country. But its a benefit, I guess. Saving those too stupid from themselves.

I don't want to in any way take away from a very generous act on your part.

And a very stupid one on the part of your new "friend" - how foolish - b/c along with not being able to smoke anywhere, Costa Rica is nutzie about collecting the exit tax - you are not gonna leave the country without paying it - at least by air.

Including it in the price of the ticket is smart.