www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: LET'S TALK!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:52 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Is this a good way to use my debit card ?

I swipe the card through the card reader.
The reader asks me if it is a debit or credit card.
I say credit card and the transaction goes through.
So now my card has gone through the Visa protected network but the sale is charged to my checking account at once.

Is this how the debit card should be used ?

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:10 pm 

Correct, I understand that now.

I will keep that in mind when I use my debit card.

They say never use a debit card at a gas station or other public place where the card reader can be rigged to steal your pin and card number. Hard to get your money back.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:42 pm 

Srilm, let's paraphrase the mighty potentate of this message board, Kenny:

EsposoDeBarbie wrote:
boo hoo
let's all feel REAL sorry for Srilm after years of reading all of the b.s. that he shits all over this board.

maybe you should carry an extra carton of kleenex and tampons.....since it seems obvious to me that you are here searching for your an emotional tampon here
go home and
Cállate su voca
have a nice day 8)
Pura Vida
Edb
:P

I do like your point about this "pura vida" nonsense as well as the other joke....I forget.....oh, yeah...."Tico Time"....; ain't pushing tin, is it? :lol: 8)

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand."
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 16

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:58 pm 

...and yet you obviously feel and have the need to proclaim to the readers of this message board just what a mover and shaker you are; how financially well placed you are; and, bluntly, something of a name dropping braggart. Or, is it the Richard Cory dealy bob scenario? http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174248

oh....and by the way, I'm with you 110% on the cultural sensitivity woo-woo. It's code speak for synthetic barriers and tied in to the "self esteem" jibber jabber which now dominates the public school system of the USA rather than educating.

So, far as I'm concerned, you and me are pretty damn close in our thoughts at the very least in the respect of Mr. Vidal's remarks: “It is of no consequence to you what others think of you. What matters is what you think of them. That is how you live your life.”

Srilm wrote:
It certainly is not pushing tin. After breaking through the "Pura Vida" barrier successfully, any opinions referring to any statements made by me, that I know to be true -- as "Jokes" or "Wrong" just don't upset me any more. I simply regard such comments as an indication that there is one more person in Costa Rica who is incapable of competing with my business.

Well... back to sipping on a beer sitting on the deck of a private villa with 2 pools, 3 hot tubs, and a private helicopter.

I have never posted incorrect info. There are just a lot of people who cannot accept the truth

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:37 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
I do not see Bro Srilm as a self-important braggart (look at the magnificent FREE offer he made me...which unfortunately I am unable to take up). Those kind of jerks are unwilling to an extreme to tell you how they do things (it's pure magic, I'm the holder of the secrets and Phuck you)--I have no doubt Bro Srilm will tell you in detail how you can do as well as he has (not financial backing, let's keep it real now). Doubtless he can read most folks like a 2-page book but if he believes in you, HE BELIEVES IN YOU. Willingness to genuinely share is everything and why this Board was founded. If I'm mistaken, I'll take the hit...but I don't think I am.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:43 pm 

Well Srilm, I was on the fence about my feelings about you ( sure you could give a rat's ass) but your post about credit cards and debt cards was spot on and well written.
Not sure what your business is but you brought some facts and cleared up some unknowns ( at least for me)about how things work...thanks again ....you bring some great info to the site.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:02 pm 

I disagree with both major points Srilm made in this thread. :D

mh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:05 pm 

Srilm wrote:
Miamiheller wrote:

mh

Nice Try! :P

Sorry, but I'm serious. I will continue to use a debit card, and I won't do business with you EVER. :D

mh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:45 pm 

Miamiheller wrote:
Srilm wrote:
Miamiheller wrote:

mh

Nice Try! :P

Sorry, but I'm serious. I will continue to use a debit card, and I won't do business with you EVER. :D

mh

+1!!

I know Sirlm and like him, but I do not understand nor agree with his concern about a debit card (if for no other reason, PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!!!! Based on my experience and what my bank has told me in writing, his concerns are totally without merit!!!!! Maybe(??) it is different with other banks but I know how it works with my bank!!! And when I lost my card I received a new one very quickly and have used it many, many times here with no problems.

As for his "business model" all I have to say is "good luck" with it in CR!! He may succeed, for a while, he may make a lot of money, for a while, he may think he knows Ticos, for a while, he may think he can force them to do things his way, for a while!!! Over the last 20 years I have seen many Gringos try his way! I have seen them succeed, for a while!!! I have then watched them lose their shirts and run back to the states broke!!!! Every time!!!

Yes you can push Ticos around and get them to change their "pura vita" way of doing things, for a while! But very quickly, every time, they quickly get tired of doing things different from what they have been doing for over 300 years! It should be obvious to anyone who has spent much time here that they are not going to change--they like their way of life, they like the way they do things, they don't care if someone does it better or more profitably, and they certainly do not like conflict nor being pushed into things!!! They may let themselves be pushed for a while but shortly they will just walk away. And most important, very, very few of them have the ambition, drive, desire, nor do they see the need, to make a LOT of money. Yes they all want more money, but as long as they have what it takes to survive from day to day, most of them are very happy!!

I wish you all the success in the world! BUT based on your commits here, I would not do business with you, and I feel very sure you will quickly run in to a stone wall when dealing with Ticos using the business model you have described here!! JMHO Prove me wrong amigo!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:34 pm 

Srilm wrote:
I understand. Each person must make his own decision. I only disseminate facts. And I only do business with those who acknowledge the facts.

No new clients are being accepted at this time.

I completely respect your desire to conduct business on YOUR terms. It's your business after all, and you make the calls.

Having spent some time in your company, I have complete confidence your business practices work... for YOU.

However, I will venture to suggest you have presented several facts and, dare I say, some personal opinions and preferences posing as facts. :)

In my line of business, personal relationships are important. This is a FACT.

if someone unknown to me out of the blue sends me an email asking for a quote for a project XYZ, there is no way in hell I will provide that quote without first attempting to contact that person, get additional information, and ensure I understand their needs.

Just like you do, I will refuse to do business with those who won't accept this. I will politely suggest they take their business elsewhere, because I'm not interested.

If they insist on an immediate project quote based on the information contained in their original email without having that conversation or meeting, alarm bells go off in my head. Why? Because in my experience these types of demands almost always lead to problems which I don't need. I already have enough business coming in.

If they agree and we do have that discussion, then I will summarize what I understood they want in a statement of work for their review and approval.

Now, these best practices are based on long experience. But these are personal PREFERENCES. It's the way I do business. And it has served me well over the years - including doing business with my Tico partners - by avoiding entanglements and misunderstandings.

As for debit card usage, here's a FACT: I understand very well the risks I take when using a debit card. My card has been compromised twice in the last couple of years. Yet I choose to continue to use it for payments. Why take the risk? I have my reasons, none of which I need to go into here, but then again I'm not trying to convince anyone to stop using credit cards, either.

Here's one more FACT => TEHO.

mh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:14 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
All I got to say after Bro Srilm's latest post is --Ye Gods! Do everything possible with a credit card and use the debit card only in the US (and even then only with a trusted merchant). Please don't bring tales of woe here, hereafter--you were cautioned.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:04 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Srilm, I use my debit card in CR only to withdraw cash from a BCR ATM. Not sure its a great deal, with the bank fees and whatever rate the bank charges, but anyway.
Always worry about the security aspect in CR.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:48 am 

Well. Why did it take you and yours so long to figure all of this out? Green Go been advising you about it for years. Oh well.

Srilm wrote:
This topic reminds me of another company...

REPRETEL

Repretel... That would be the Media Company that has practically Smart-Bombed every other Costa Rican media company out of existence.

That would be... Channels 2, 4, 6, and 11 on your TV (live air).

Not to mention the 10+ Radio Stations that Repretel owns.

Repretel does have an image problem, as its only real competitor, Teletica, is largely regarded as "More Tico" than Repretel.

Repretel is owned by Albavision (Angel G), and that "sticks in the craw" (as my Dad used to say) of most Ticos.

But... My central point is...

"That's the way it has always been done here" -- Is a Big Ol' Ticket on the "You Are phucked" Train.

It ain't just the Gringos who do it better than the Ticos... It's the Chinos, the Canadians, the Germans, the French... YOU NAME IT!

As much as I love the Ticos and their culture... The Tsunami that they themselves invited by promoting tourism and foreign investment has finally arrived. Tico culture is not well suited to modern-day business practices... But that is a FACT that Tico culture will have to accept. They have brought it upon themselves, and it is FAR TOO LATE to just back out of the deal.

BangBang and others...

It's OVER! Accept it!

Any Tico business that does not accept the International way of doing business will be run over like a Gecko in front of a Supersonic Steamroller.

---------------

To those who say, "That's just the way it's done in Costa Rica"...

I say...

DO NOT STAND ON THE TRACKS...

Because the Train is Coming! :)

---------------

The guys that insist upon speaking on the phone? How many phone conversations can you have in one hour? I can exchange emails with over 30 people in one hour -- and those emails contain FACTS and statements that are documented and cannot later be retracted.

---------------

How do people not get this?

Mexico... A country that INTENTLY monitors and copies the USA way of doing business...

Is TAKING CONTROL of public business in Costa Rica.

Walmart, Mas X Menos, PriceSmart, Office Depot, Hooters, McDonald's...

Pops has already been bought by a holding company outside of Costa Rica...

Costa Rica has been bought by everyone except Costa Ricans!

Costa Rican businessmen (and businesswomen) have been caught FLAT ABED by Mexico and the rest of the world. It's time to WAKE UP and GET TO IT! "Tico Time" and "Pura Vida" don't Cut It! Not any more!

Seriously! Need I go on?

----------------

I ALWAYS knew that taking candy from a baby was Rocket Science compared to making money in Costa Rica -- but I NEVER wanted Costa Rica to be Cherry-Picked like it is now. It's just plain SAD!