www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Verizon and phones in CR
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:45 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hey guys, I have no idea if this has been covered or not but I have some useful information regarding cellular service for all you verizon customers:

On previous trips I used to purchase unlocked phones from best buy and then use them in CR and then promptly return them upon my return to the U.S. This carried significant monetary risks because if I lost the phone in CR, my investment was gone.

Last year I got a Samsung Galaxy note 3 from verizon and just prior to my recent trip, I call them to see if I could use it in CR.

AT first, I was told that I could, but I needed to call Verizon before my trip and have the phone temporarely unlocked. NOT TRUE

Second, I contacted verizon once again to be sure of the above and was told that ALL newer verizon phones are unlocked already and will work in CR but I may need a 6 digit unlock code which was either 6 zeros or 123456. also .....NOT TRUE

Thirdly I stopped by a verizon office two days prior to my trip, I had an employee their (who spoke spanish) go on to the kolbi website to see if my phone would work.

The skinny:

All verizon LTE phones are unlocked..
They WILL work in CR WITHOUT calling verizon to unlock them and you do not need a 6 digit unlock code.
I took my NOTE 3 to the KOLBI booth at the baggage claim, the rep promptly took my verizon sim out programmed the kolbi sim and my phone worked perfectly in CR, I used GPS, text email web etc in Domincal, Quepos, Jaco and San jose without a problem. Kolbi DOES have a few low spots in the gulch but overall I was happy.

Just an fYI for all of you wondering

Tony

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:54 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Yes, on condition of the LTE band purchase Verizon made, they can not lock phones. Essentially, all LTE capable phones are unlocked.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:03 pm 

one can also use Tmobile with no international roaming charges for internet, gps and text.. phone calls in and out are charged normal long distance... but this is moot considering apps like Viber or Whats app

once you land, you turno off airplane mode.. it connects automatically to movistar like you landed stateside...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:42 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I can confirm what Tony has said is also true for Verizon iPhone 5 with LTE. I routinely use mine in CR and European countries simply by buying and inserting a local SIM card. I have a Kolbi card for CR. I have never needed an unlock code.

I also agree with Col Ingus that T-Mobile is a great option for frequent overseas travelers. As mentioned internet is free in most foreign countries, although depending on the country it can be slower 3G and they will try to upsell you to 4G. Calls to and from the US are $0.20 per minute. As a consultant, most times I want my number to be a US number. Using T-Mobile I can have an hour long conference call for $12.00 and no one knows I am not in my office.

Since my Verizon phone went off contract I have been using a no-contract T-Mobile SIM card, again with no unlock code needed.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:40 am 

I use T-Mobile also.. I love it!! Internet is not the fastest but surprisingly you can still viber with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:43 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Quote:
On previous trips I used to purchase unlocked phones from best buy and then use them in CR and then promptly return them upon my return to the U.S. This carried significant monetary risks because if I lost the phone in CR, my investment was gone.

classy move; so when you're going to a funeral, you buy a suit at K-mart, then return it right after you leave the cemetery :shock: