www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:56 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Estebanh wrote:
The previous owner of the site got your $100. The current owners derive absolutely no benefit from grandfathered VIP users. Guys like you just use up bandwidth and are freeloaders just like the rest. If you guys are so "Fair Minded" and concerned about the profitability of the site, maybe you should be paying along with all the newbies. :?:

As you see it.....but you are wrong; interesting point, but again, incorrect -

Using your own logic, if you are renting an apartment, and the building is sold - ah, you know what - Phuck it; like I give a shit - be a dead beat, a freeloader if that's what you want.

Just stop bitching about what you don't have access to as a non paid member.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:36 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Scuba1 wrote:
Estebanh wrote:
The previous owner of the site got your $100. The current owners derive absolutely no benefit from grandfathered VIP users. Guys like you just use up bandwidth and are freeloaders just like the rest. If you guys are so "Fair Minded" and concerned about the profitability of the site, maybe you should be paying along with all the newbies. :?:

As you see it.....but you are wrong; interesting point, but again, incorrect -

Using your own logic, if you are renting an apartment, and the building is sold - ah, you know what - Phuck it; like I give a shit - be a dead beat, a freeloader if that's what you want.

Just stop bitching about what you don't have access to as a non paid member.

You hit the nail right on the head. At the end of the day Estabanh is just cheap and greedy and is a person who wants something for nothing. For him to complain about not getting something for free is a joke. If you think that your post about Colombia or any other subject are so good that your membership fees and obligations should be waived your wrong.

Apparently at one point you bought a one year membership and it expired. You're too cheap to buy a lifetime membership and now you want to complain because something that you got for nothing was taken away from you.

It seems to me that the owners of this website have two revenue streams one is from paid memberships and the other is from their sponsors. Are you trying to insinuate that the owners and operators of this website are entitled to nothing for their time and effort in maintaining the site?

With respect to the sponsors the owners of this website have a right, and perhaps an obligation, to steer business towards their sponsors. What would you do if you owned this website?(Please don't suggest that you would give everything section to everybody for free) Why would they steer business to a hotel or transportation service in a foreign country unless that hotel and or service was a sponsor?

A lifetime membership will cost you $100, if you like the website so much, and you've been posting for six years, why don't you just pony up the hundred? You obviously like the website or you wouldn't cry like a baby about having your favorite section removed to the pay section.

Your insinuation that moving that one particular section will ruin the website is laughable. Most of the people who've been on this site for number years understand, or least understood at some point, that they have an obligation to pay something. If you go to Costa Rica and just use the hotel discounts then you will more than save your membership fee. I got my membership fee back in dicounts the first time I used it in 2007 at the Presidente. if you dont go to Costa Rica or don't avail yourself of the deals our sponsors offer than that's on you not the owners of CRT.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:57 pm 
I have to disagree with you. Its not about being cheap. This site has always operated as a free forum, in much the same way as your television and radio is "free". Almost every forum and blog on the Internet uses the same business model.The premium or VIP section is where the pictures were located. If you want to chat with the other VIP and look at the naked ladies, you pay extra. I always patronized the advertisers like the Sportmens and La Amistad. If it wasnt for the the cheapos out there looking at the site, Admin couldnt charge squat for his advertising. Thats just the way it works folks. You guys who paid blood money for your VIP think you have some kind of status. Its laughable. I paid 4 different times for VIP (I never thought I would hang around this long, never saw the need for lifetime). I have probably paid more in that the rest you big spenders.

Most of the VIP members on here paid Tomas. The present owner of the site gets nothing for that. He is making his money off the new VIP members and advertising. Also, it costs diddly squat to operate this forum. Besides the Tica of the month, everything on the forum comes from the vendors. And, there is damn little quality postings anymore.

I wont post anymore on this subject because its becoming redundant. If admin doesnt want my eyes or my trip reports, so be it. I'll fade away like all cheapos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:24 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Estebanh wrote:
I have to disagree with you. If it wasnt for the the cheapos out there looking at the site, Admin couldnt charge squat for his advertising. Thats just the way it works folks. You guys who paid blood money for your VIP think you have some kind of status. Its laughable. I paid 4 different times for VIP (I never thought I would hang around this long, never saw the need for lifetime). I have probably paid more in that the rest you big spenders.

I wont post anymore on this subject because its becoming redundant. If admin doesnt want my eyes or my trip reports, so be it. I'll fade away like all cheapos

Your not only cheap but your friggin stupid to boot. You paid $156 in membership fees for something you could have had for $100. However, at the end of each year you were to cheap to bring yourself to pay the $100. I agree that the non paying members generate hits on the website which is good for the sponsors. But as Scuba1 suggested after awhile a person who regularly uses this website should pony up and pay.

I do not think I have some kind of status on this site because I paid $100 as you can see by my post count I don't post that much. I just think the money I paid was more than worth it over the years. Between my membership fees and staying at one of the sponsors hotel I support the site in a small way. If you are really moving on good bye and good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:58 pm 

Estebanh wrote:
Most of the VIP members on here paid Tomas. The present owner of the site gets nothing for that.

Which the owners knew when they bought the site - besides, its not the point - the point is if you post - especially with the post count you have - you should support the site - the reasons you give for not doing so are crazy.

Everyone who posts probably thinks their posts add value to the site.

One thing we can likely agree is I'm done with this thread too - its like arguing with someone who believes the earth is flat, or in the existence of Bigfoot :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:46 pm 

Loco Mike wrote:
Estebanh wrote:
I have to disagree with you. If it wasnt for the the cheapos out there looking at the site, Admin couldnt charge squat for his advertising. Thats just the way it works folks. You guys who paid blood money for your VIP think you have some kind of status. Its laughable. I paid 4 different times for VIP (I never thought I would hang around this long, never saw the need for lifetime). I have probably paid more in that the rest you big spenders.

Your not only cheap but your friggin stupid to boot.

This last comment by Loco Mike is emblematic of the main reason why this board now sucks! It used to be a bunch of guys having fun and, yes, giving each other shit, but in a playful, light hearted manner. Part of the reason is what so many people knew each other; while that exists to some extent, it has now changed. Many of us have moved on to new places, and only come to back CR once in a while. So, keep calling people names and not contribute anything useful- that is "smart" behavior.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:01 pm 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Estebanh wrote:

I get what your saying, Bro Estebanh, but us "lifetimes" were passed along under the heading "goodwill" with the full knowledge of the new owners--we owe them nothing extra. Plus we live in a time of unprecedentedly cheap bandwidth--how much do you actually think we consume?
Bigger issue: Where I come from, "lifetime" means the span of your life left--somebody slip in a change when I wasn't looking?--I failed to get the memo. If the present owners made a poor biz decision thinking they could extract more--that's a horse on them.
BTW that "...absolutely no benefit..." statement? The new owners get sticky eyeballs and intelligent commentary, which can draw in new, paid users and affects ad rates too. All benefits aren't obvious...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:35 pm 

Location: I don't know where I'm going, but I sure know where I've been.
I would only come back here to see what guys were posting on the Medellin scene. I have done Costa Rica 60+ times. Patronized many advertisers and, like Estebahn, paid the VIP many times in years past. I'm sure I have spent more than the average "Lifetime" member.

I agree with with some things being kept in the paid area. Such as pictures and maybe even PM's. But to make the other countries section private is ridiculous. Never been a big fan of ISG but at least you can easily get info. I guess I don't have much reason to come back either.

dapanz1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:02 pm 

Without making a statement...ditto Dapanz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:04 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

The VIP Lifetime is how much?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:12 pm 

See the VIP MEMBER INFORMATION ! link at the top of any CRT page.

An "upgrade" from regular member to lifetime member is $99.

A lifetime for a new member is $138.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:31 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

[/quote]

This last comment by Loco Mike is emblematic of the main reason why this board now sucks! It used to be a bunch of guys having fun and, yes, giving each other shit, but in a playful, light hearted manner. Part of the reason is what so many people knew each other; while that exists to some extent, it has now changed. Many of us have moved on to new places, and only come to back CR once in a while. So, keep calling people names and not contribute anything useful- that is "smart" behavior.[/quote]

Sorry but your memory might be failing you. Yes, historically, there was more bantering going on in the past but there were also many more post wars and head butting contest back in the day. Almost everything that could be argued about has been argued about at one time or another on this site.

When you quote somebody you may want to put the quote in context before calling someone out. Buying a membership every year for four straight years was a dumb move on his and others part. If they would have just let loose of another $60 at one point it would have been done with forever. In his case it was cheap and stupid. After one year, of being a paid member and posting regularly on this website, you should be able to determine if you like the site or not.

Complaining about not receiving something for nothing , while acknowledging you not longer support any of the sponsors because you no longer go to the CR, is also sort of lame. Everyone who is on this website more than a couple of years obviously likes the information and entertainment provided by it or they wouldn't be here. The only way for this website to exist is for people to buy memberships and for sponsors to buy ads. The members patronize the sponsors and it all works out.

Finally, at the risk of being redundant, the memberships pay for themselves if you use the discounts the sponsors offer. I don't feel like I am out any money for joining CRT as my membership fee has been reimbursed to me many times over in the form of discounts. If you are a newbie and you go to CR once or more per year, buy a membership and make use of the discounts made available to you, then your membership will pay for itself. Joining CRT is a good deal !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:54 pm 

Estabam is not a cheap guy..... he has paid by the year a few times

he did a great trip report about ... Mde ... via FB etc

This is the thanks..... lets work it out Admins... Tomas would know what to say 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:39 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

+1
There are some non-paying members who were VIP in the past who rarely, if ever, come to CR now. The discounts no longer have value for them. They continue to make extremely useful, reliable and valuable contributions to the international threads. I'm thinking of guys like Blue Devil, who now lives in Colombia. Should they have to pay to continue to share information that is of immense help to others when they receive nothing in return? Their contributions will be lost under the new arrangement.

And as far as the international section being an "add-on" to a CR board, it was put in place less than six months after the board was launched when there were maybe 500 members and fewer than 100 who posted. Pretty much been on the landscape from the get go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:34 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

El Tranquilo wrote:
+1
There are some non-paying members who were VIP in the past who rarely, if ever, come to CR now. The discounts no longer have value for them. They continue to make extremely useful, reliable and valuable contributions to the international threads. Should they have to pay to continue to share information that is of immense help to others when they receive nothing in return? Their contributions will be lost under the new arrangement.

They do receive something in return, a place to post, share and receive information. Yes they should have to pay. There is more to this website than just getting discounts. The past VIP's had the option to purchase a lifetime membership or successive yearly memberships. They thought they would save some $$$ and it didn't work for them. None of these long time posters are banned they just need to pony up some $$$ and keep on posting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next