www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
BashfulDwarf wrote:
JazzboCR wrote:
2) What's your cost-effective solution and how is it better?

exercise in futility, Jazzy. It doesn't matter how great or workable an idea you may have, you are a nobody and have absolutely zero hope of having anyone in power pay even the slightest bit of attention to you.

Now, stop trying to save the world with great ideas, and instead, try to figure out what the reality will be for this situation and how it will affect us over the long term. That is a worthwhile conversation to have. Forget the "if only they would..." stuff ... 'Perfect-World' scenarios are so much Walter Mitty.

Big problem for you--what I proposed is not "Blue-sky thinking" but directly from NYTimes reportage of Administration thinking/planning and something like it has been done at least twice before (Vietnamese and Haitian refugees): http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/world ... uras-.html << Gotcha! You really should keep up with the news if you hope to discuss issues intelligently.
A bit dated but still relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw << who says I don't have a sense of humor about myself? Go Fish. <<signed>> your NIMBY Bro, JazzboCR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:23 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Good info JazzBro from the NYT article. BUT that there article is from one of them there LIBERAL newspapers who only tell lies...... at least according to Bill O'Reilly. :roll: :lol: :P

Seriously though, it doesn't seem to make much difference whether you are fleeing your country because of the Viet Cong or a Guatemalan narco gang. The threat seems just as severe and the potential solution addresses LaDiablo's idea of providing them safe passage across Mexico.

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm 

Here's another article from The Guardian on the motivations of the people sending their Ch*ldren with coyotes across Mexico to the US and an opinion of how the US immigration laws and our closed borders are contributing to the influx. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/j ... der-crisis

Talk about unintended consequences. Wow! :!: :!:

Another perspective is always beneficial to forming one's own opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:52 pm 

Lennydo wrote:
Good info JazzBro from the NYT article. BUT that there article is from one of them there LIBERAL newspapers who only tell lies...... at least according to Bill O'Reilly. :roll: :lol: :P

Seriously though, it doesn't seem to make much difference whether you are fleeing your country because of the Viet Cong or a Guatemalan narco gang. The threat seems just as severe and the potential solution addresses LaDiablo's idea of providing them safe passage across Mexico.

you could have saved some words and just said the standard liberal response "fox news" since yes actually i do watch fox as well as subscribe to npr. even though it is over the top in the opposite direction of your dogma it is the only such news outlet that provides an opposing view in the mm. i like to consider all sides of the problem before forming an opinion personally. and yes the nyt is pretty hard core left
and hey while were at it lets bring all the syrian refugees and build some boats to get them here from africa and cuba and every other persecuted land in the world. screw the legal process.
just say it. you want open borders.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:39 pm 

LADiablo. I too watch O'Reilly, so we have something other than pu*sy in common. :lol:

Rather than answer your question about open borders, may I just ask if you feel the USA is less financially stable today than we were when the European immigrants came to this country? History tells us that it has been a net positive and yet we were rejecting and calling the Irish and the Italians names just as is happening today to the Latinos. Can we really not afford to embrace this handful of immigrants, many of whose parents are already here (even if they too are "illegal aliens").

I bet that you agree that your family and mine would not be here had the USA not stood on the beliefs written on the Statue of Liberty and processed the paperwork for most everyone who sought entry if they were not criminals. Many of these immigrants did not have to pay coyote like people for high priced transport to the USA, even though the Atlantic Ocean is more brutal and life threatening than Mexico. Had the USA immigration policies been restrictive for entry back then, it's likely that coyotes in Mexico or Canada would have helped yours and my family get into the USA any way they could.

The intent back then was registration for subsequent processing for citizenship where today many of our fellow citizens want the US Immigration Department to block ALL who seek to enter unless they have $1 million to invest in a business for an easy to get E-2 Visa. While those opposing a more open immigration feel they are being conservative of our American Values, in fact their behavior does nothing to conserve our history of being a country of immigrants. What will you do when the US Military starts bringing people from Iraq, Afghanistan or other Middle Eastern countries who have helped us in these wars. Shall they also be rejected out of fear of their race or religion by a Country that espouses freedom of religion and racial equality?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 pm 

yes and i remember my fathers stories of how grandpa passed through ellis island and was checked for diseases and was promised nothing.
whole different ballgame and a whole different world
but i'm not against immigration at all. i think its great for the country. just do it legally.
seems to me the only person that CAN"T get across the mexican border it the marine that incarcerated down there.
i could solve both problems in a heartbeat. hit em in the wallet. but it would require an actual leader with the huevos to say the money just stopped flowing from us to you. it would be over that fast.
funny i don't watch o'reilly much but i like brett baier w charles krauthammmer. megan kelly is coming up as well. and i think greg gutfeld is brilliant and funny as well

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:02 pm 

Here are a few pages relating to how Immigration laws have evolved since the founding of our country and the other outlines the history of Ellis Island.
http://www.umass.edu/complit/aclanet/USMigrat.html
http://www.ellisisland.org/genealogy/el ... istory.asp

No spin or partisan points of view just history.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:26 pm 

Lennydo wrote:
LADiablo. I too watch O'Reilly, so we have something other than pu*sy in common. :lol:

Rather than answer your question about open borders, may I just ask if you feel the USA is less financially stable today than we were when the European immigrants came to this country? History tells us that it has been a net positive and yet we were rejecting and calling the Irish and the Italians names just as is happening today to the Latinos. Can we really not afford to embrace this handful of immigrants, many of whose parents are already here (even if they too are "illegal aliens").

I bet that you agree that your family and mine would not be here had the USA not stood on the beliefs written on the Statue of Liberty and processed the paperwork for most everyone who sought entry if they were not criminals. Many of these immigrants did not have to pay coyote like people for high priced transport to the USA, even though the Atlantic Ocean is more brutal and life threatening than Mexico. Had the USA immigration policies been restrictive for entry back then, it's likely that coyotes in Mexico or Canada would have helped yours and my family get into the USA any way they could.

The intent back then was registration for subsequent processing for citizenship where today many of our fellow citizens want the US Immigration Department to block ALL who seek to enter unless they have $1 million to invest in a business for an easy to get E-2 Visa. While those opposing a more open immigration feel they are being conservative of our American Values, in fact their behavior does nothing to conserve our history of being a country of immigrants. What will you do when the US Military starts bringing people from Iraq, Afghanistan or other Middle Eastern countries who have helped us in these wars. Shall they also be rejected out of fear of their race or religion by a Country that espouses freedom of religion and racial equality?

Back when our ancestors settled North America it was a completely different scenario. The vast welfare or social safety nets of today simply didn't exist back then. You had to work your ass off back then just to survive. Many immigrants died of illnesses or froze to death in the cold areas.

At one time North America was 'the wild West" with very few people living in the center of the continent. Immigrants were needed to settle and populate the land. Underpopulation is no longer a problem.

Immigration should be based on the criteria of what will he/she contribute to the country. If a small town in Northern Minnesota needs Doctors, then we allow immigration to Doctors to move to that town and require them to stay there for a period of 10 years (for example). Allowing thousands of uneducated, non English speaking people to immigrate and overwhelm the already abused welfare system is a recipe for disaster.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:40 pm 

Devo wrote:
Immigration should be based on the criteria of what will he/she contribute to the country. If a small town in Northern Minnesota needs Doctors, then we allow immigration to Doctors to move to that town

actually, that is a much worse idea than general immigration policies. Keep in mind that adults do not acclimate well into new cultures. This is what led to the difficulties that Lenny alludes to. The current situation deals with Ch*ldren. The two end-game solutions will be to keep them bunched together, and remembering that they are immigrants (ie second-class citizens), or to blend them into the society with open arms and a sense of belonging.

The question should not be "what is the best thing to do" (partly because it is doubtful that anyone here knows, and partly because it is doubtful Congress reads CRT for administrative advice), but instead should be "What WILL happen, and what will that lead to".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:46 pm 

Thanks FlaBuck. That's a nice contribution to the discussion. I was completely overlooking how the US immigration laws blocked Asian immigration for many years after WWII. It provides historical perspective to a discussion that needs a lot of perspective. :roll:

Particularly thanks for contributing to the discussion. I was ready to personally STFU since it appeared this was becoming a back-and-forth between just LadDiablo and me - like 2 drunks arguing in a bar while everyone tries to distance themselves in case it comes to blows - not going to happen by either of us. 8)

I've received PMs from others with the suggested links that I have posted. I really wish they would offer their wisdom to the discussion. It's really very good stuff, just like what you posted.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:10 pm 

yeah i thought it was pretty coherent and try not to discuss certain topics while drunk on a barstool because why?
not like nhhank is listening anyway he's just trying to get another imperial
i knew from the first time i met you we had diametrically opposing povs Lenny no worries. i don't hate and call people names because they don't agree w me that would be childish
and thanks for at least acknowledging the open borders part but by not wanting to answer it you did :?:
its cool cause like you say we aren't ever going to agree on a lot of things
just how it is and i can accept it even if i can't understand it :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:23 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I'm all for immigration...legally as Lenny said. And LAdiablo beat me in saying let's let everyone in from those troubled countries. :shock: It's unfortunate some members won't post and only PM. I think this thread is of interest to many members as travelers to some of the countries these k*ds are coming from. The majority of Americans never leave the country and probably their own state. Which is sad to me.

At some point in time kicking the can down the fiscal responsibility road will no longer be answer and the system will be overloaded to the "oh sh!t" point. No administration wants to make the hard decisions to begin to correct the situation as they all want to get re-elected. And then turn around say they don't want their grandk*ds to inherit the problem.

CNBC just posted an article stating that Medicare is only solvent until 2030. That's a short 15 years away and it doesn't seem that anything is being done to fix that. Same article states that Social Security will only be able to cover 75% of pensions it pays out by 2033. I wonder what will be left when I try to retire. Apparently, I will only be getting 75% of what they said I would be getting in my annual statement assuming nothing is down or it doesn't get any worse.

Maybe the immigration issue won't cost "much" to fix but every little bit that is adding to the welfare state today will be added to the total tomorrow. I have no idea what the number will finally be to break the system but we keep adding to it by not fixing anything. :cry: :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:32 am 

Fieldtech wrote:
Maybe the immigration issue won't cost "much" to fix but every little bit that is adding to the welfare state today will be added to the total tomorrow. I have no idea what the number will finally be to break the system but we keep adding to it by not fixing anything. :cry: :?

The current issue need not add to the welfare state, but then it would not have the political benefit of doing such either. Again, politicians are only interested in advancing themselves and their party through selective solutions to the issues of the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:29 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
This Thread is talking about a problem that really doesn't exist. 1st sentence in this article on the subject: "The vast majority of unaccompanied migrant Ch*ldren arriving in the United States from Central America this year have been released to relatives in states with large established Central American populations..." Read the statistics and the conclusions drawn from them, then let's talk.: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/26/us/mi ... tives.html
Then there's this heart-felt Op-Ed piece by someone on the front line of the issue: a county judge in El Paso, Texas: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/26/opini ... -myth.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:54 am 

JazzboCR wrote:
This Thread is talking about a problem that really doesn't exist. 1st sentence in this article on the subject: "The vast majority of unaccompanied migrant Ch*ldren arriving in the United States from Central America this year have been released to relatives in states with large established Central American populations..." Read the statistics and the conclusions drawn from them, then let's talk.: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/26/us/mi ... tives.html
Then there's this heart-felt Op-Ed piece by someone on the front line of the issue: a county judge in El Paso, Texas: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/26/opini ... -myth.html

first one is good, the second is just typical political party crap.

I do not have an issue with releasing them into the society to (legal-resident) family members, but they should on no account qualify for any form of welfare outside of basic medical care.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next